Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Canning Ham

Yesterday, I shared with you that I was canning ham and today I want to tell you how I did it.

After slicing the ham into ¼ inch slices (the hams were approximately 4 inches wide and 10 inches long, so each slice measured ¼ inch x 4 inches in size), I cut the slices into ¼ - ½ strips and then diced the slices and put them in a big stock pot of water that I had on the stove.

While the ham was simmering, I washed and sterilized the pint jars I planned to use and put the lids into a pot of water to heat.  Once the jars and lids were ready I filled them with the hot diced ham followed by liquid from the pot.

Then I:

Cleaned off the rim of the jars

Put a heated lid on each jar

Screwed a ring on each jar

and

Into the pressure canner they went where they processed 75 minutes at 10 lbs of pressure.

How will I use canned diced ham:  in omelets, soups, salads, etc.


Please do not use text or pictures from A Working Pantry without written permission from the author. (c) 2012. All Rights Reserved.

To subscribe to A Working Pantry and receive each post via email, sign up using the ‘Follow by Email’ box or the ‘Subscribe’ box on the sidebar.

This post linked to Homestead Revival; Frugally Sustainable

3 comments:

  1. I have a pressure canner, but have been so nervous about using it. Gosh, I wish I'd grown up in the country and just learned to do it from childhood, LOL! I've had it for a long time now, a friend had a garden at the time, but couldn't afford the canner, and I had no garden but could, so I bought it so she could use it and i could have some home-grown beans in exchange! But she moved, and it's sat on the shelf in the basement for...oh...7 years or so? Don't even know if it would be okay now. Grrrr...

    Love your posts, and will keep trying to get up my courage, LOL!

    Blessings,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. The canner should be fine, it may need a new seal and I'd check the gage and steam escape valve but other than that there's not much else that could be wrong with it ... unless it is cracked or something like that.

    Being scared of a pressure canner is the # 1 reason I hear for not using one. Check your county extension agency for classes, the more you learn about a pressure canner the less you'll fear it.

    ReplyDelete