Thursday, June 28, 2012

Oven Canning


What is Oven Canning?

Living in an area that is hot and has high humidity a good part of the year, I needed a way to preserve  bulk dry goods for our pantry that would keep bugs and other varmints out of them.  Not having a root cellar or basement left me with few choices that would work for our area.  Then I learned about oven canning.

What is oven canning?  Oven Canning, in a nutshell, is a way to preserve dry goods for long term storage without the worry of bugs or other varmints getting into them. 



What are the ‘pro’s’/benefits of oven canning?

Bugs, insects and other varmints can’t get into a sealed jar.

Any bugs, insects and/or their eggs that might be in the dry goods are killed during the oven canning process.

Can open the number of jar(s) needed at any given time as opposed to opening a big bucket or bag. The remaining contents of a big bag or bucket will need to have measures taken to prevent bugs and varmints from getting into them.

Can do as many jars as your oven will hold at one time.

Can do several different kinds of dry goods at the same time.
Can use glass mayonnaise/salad dressing type jars for oven canning. 

What are the ‘con’s’ of oven canning?
It uses jars and lids that are in high demand during canning season
It takes up valuable  ‘jar’  storage space 

It is not an 'approved' way to preserve food by the FDA

What can be oven canned?
Only dry goods such as flour, rice, corn meal, herbs, dehydrated foods, sugar, etc.   

How do I oven can?
Steps:
*Preheat oven to 200 degrees
*Wash and sterilize jars
*Make sure jars are completely dry
*Fill jars with dry goods
*Set jars on a flat pan
*Set flat pan of jars in oven without lids or rings on them
*Set timer for 1 hour
*While waiting for the hour to be up, heat lids in water or in oven and prepare rings
*When hour is up, take jars out of oven (be careful they’re hot) one at a time and put a lid and ring on each jar.  Make sure lids are completely dry.
*Set aside and let cool.
*Enjoy the pings as they seal.  (It has been my experience that it takes a bit longer for the seals on oven canned jars to seal then it does pressure canned jars.)
*When jars are completely cooled, remove rings and label.
*Store and use as needed.

To get more information on oven-canning get my e-book Oven-Canning 101.


Please do not use text or pictures from A Working Pantry without written permission from the author. (c) 2012. All Rights Reserved.
To subscribe to A Working Pantry and receive each post via email, sign up using the ‘Follow by Email’ box or the ‘Subscribe’ box on the sidebar.



This post linked to Homestead Revival; Frugally Sustainable; Teach Me Tuesday; Simple Lives Thursday; The Morris Tribe; Jill's Home Remedies; Thriving on Thursday; My Simple Country Living; The Homesteaders Blog Hop



22 comments:

  1. Looks interessting. I didn't know you could do this. This is good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting, wish I knew this when I lived in Chicago. Funny you mentioned high humidity and heat, I have this here in Louisiana, but have no problem with bugs getting in the dry goods. I did however, have this problem when I lived in Chicago.

    Followed you here from Jill's Home Remedies, new follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had a jar to explode while oven-canning.

      I've also never had sugar to melt while oven-canning.

      Delete
  3. My guess is that it would work with chicken feed, as well, since their mostly grain. It would keep the pests away from the storage area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see why it wouldn't work, it would use a lot of jars and lids though. We keep our chicken grain in a metal garbage can with the lid secured by a tarp strap. So far, we haven't had any problems with pests in our chicken feed.

      Delete
    2. Talking about pests in the chicken feed! How about in the dog food? When our son took off the lid of the dog food can (large sized clean metal garbage can) in late summer, he was shocked to discover our full-grown turkey inside. Somehow, the turkey had gotten on top of the can of dog food, but the lid was not securely tightly down--and it flip over, dropping the turkey inside the can. Luckily for him, our son discovered him before he ran out of oxygen (he certainly had enough food, since he loves dog food). So you never know what kind of pests you may run into:)

      Delete
  4. I too didn't know that you could do this. Great post and thanks so much for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Countryside Magazine did a series of articles on oven canning a while back. I think it was maybe last fall/winter.

      Delete
  5. I got into the habit of sticking anything I buy grain-wise, etc. into the freezer for several days as soon as I got it home from the store. Kills any tiny stuff in there. I may try this, but it's a lot of jars, and it's very dry where I live, and the freezer method has worked great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use to put my grains in the freezer too ... but after losing 3 LARGE freezers full of food over the course of our married life, my husband and I decided that enough was enough. Now we have an upright freezer that is used for the temporary storage of frozen foods and a few items that don't do well canned.

      The freezer method is much simpler, glad you are able to utilize it.

      Delete
  6. I stumbled across your blog and I'm so glad I did. A well stocked pantry is one of the best ways I've found to keep a household running smoothly. Looking forward to following along with you. Em

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've not done oven canning but I may just give it a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This "oven canning" has really gotten my attention! Love your blog and thank you for sharing your knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds interesting...can you tell me if this will work for whole grains, like wheat berries?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't tried wheat berries yet, but I have oven-canned oats and they work fine. I Can't think why it wouldn't work on wheat berries though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Will oven-canning work for popcorn kernels as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried to oven-can popcorn kernels. I would try a small jar before doing a big oven-canning session to see. My instinct says it will work, but I'm not sure.

      Delete
  12. Do you happen to know anything about oven canning tortilla mix, or Bisquick? There is oil in both so Im concerned if I can oven can them. I have done flour however and it turned out perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally would not oven can any thing with oil in it. I don't oven can nuts or brown rice for that reason.

      Delete