Friday, August 3, 2012

Canning Chicken Gizzards and Hearts

My husband and I were out running errands yesterday and stopped in at a local grocery store where we found several packages of chicken gizzards and hearts marked down.  We bought them and brought them home.  This morning I'm canning them ... here's how:

Open packages and put them in a big stock pot (We bought 4 packages and had two in the freezer which I added to the pot as well.)

Cover them with water

Bring to a boil and turn off  (let sit in pot with lid on while preparing jars and lids)

Sterilize jars and heat lids

Fill jars with hearts and gizzards first then liquid from the pot

Add 1 teaspoon salt to each quart jar or 1/2 teaspoon of salt to each pint

Make sure tops/rims of jars are clean

Add lids and screw on rings

Process quarts 90 minutes and pints 75 minutes in a pressure canner at 10 lbs pressure

When I'm ready to use them, I'll open a jar, drain off the liquid into a bowl and set the liquid aside.  I'll flour and season the hearts and gizzards and brown them in a skillet with a small amount of oil.  When hearts and gizzards are browned I'll add the liquid back in that I set aside earlier.  If needed, I'll add some constarch to thicken the liquid/gravy.  Some mashed potatoes or rice would go good with this meal.  I'll most likely add another vegetable as well to make a complete meal.

(The jars are still in the pressure canner or I'd include a picture.  I'll try to remember to add one later when the jars are cooled and ready to shelve.)

 
Please do not use text or pictures from A Working Pantry without written permission from the author. (c) 2012. All Rights Reserved.
To subscribe to A Working Pantry and receive each post via email, sign up using the ‘Follow by Email’ box or the ‘Subscribe’ box on the sidebar.

This post linked to Laura Williams' Musings; My Simple Country Living; Deep Roots at Home; A Rural Journal; Homestead Simple; Lil' Suburban Homestead; The Morris Tribe




No comments:

Post a Comment