Thursday, March 14, 2013

Pinterest Project: Oven Drying Banana Chips

I normally dehydrate banana chips in my dehydrator but when I came across this ‘pin’ with instructions on how to oven dry banana chips I decided to give it a try.
 
I peeled and sliced each banana into 1/8 inch slices and dipped them in lemon juice.
Next, I laid them out flat on a pan …
 
 
 
And placed them in a preheated 200 degree oven.

The instructions said to leave them in oven for 2 hours at 200 degrees then flip each slice and leave them in the oven for another 1.5 – 2 hours or until crisp.

I found that in order to get my chips to the crisp stage (but not breakable stage) I needed to add another hour to the time.

Other than that, I followed the directions exactly and was pleased with the final product.
 
 
 
Will I use this process in the future … I think that my first choice is to use my dehydrator, but in a pinch, yes, I would dry them in my oven again.

It’s always good to know how to do things more than one way!
patsi

1 comment:

  1. Patsy these look amazing! Do you know people at work buy these at Trader Joes and rave about how amazing these are and you are being innovative and making them yourself and they look super yummy! I am so glad you linked up to "The Ole' Saturday Homesteading Trading Post" blog hop this week! Connecting The Homesteading Community and that means you! http://www.lilsuburbanhomestead.com/2013/03/15/are-you-a-prepper-barterer-the-ole-saturday-homesteading-trading-post-ed-no-42-its-a-blog-hop-a-giveaway

    ReplyDelete