Thursday, February 5, 2015

My Gift Trunk ... another part of my pantry


 An important part of my working pantry is a gift trunk.  My gift trunk is an old antique trunk that was given to my husband and I many years ago. It was painted green when it was given to us and it remains painted green to this day.    It’s just the right size for my small house and fits in with the décor of my home quite well.

My green trunk functions in an important role in my house, not only does it look pretty and bring beauty to my home, but it also houses all the things I purchase or make for gift giving.  When I find something on a really good sale that would make a good gift, I purchase it and add it to my gift trunk until an occasion arises to gift it.  When I make something for gift giving purposes, it is added to my gift trunk as well until an occasion arises to gift it. 

By having a gift trunk, I am most always ready to give a gift when the occasion arises.  Usually the gift is of a higher value than I could afford to pay if I had not gotten it on sale.  If it is a gift made with my hands, it is usually better made than if I had waited to the last minute to make it.  By making gifts ahead I enjoy the process more than if I had waited to the last minute and rushed to get it done.  I don’t do my best work when I’m rushed.

Here’s a picture of a baby doll that I recently added to my gift trunk.  The regular price was $19 and some change … I paid $6.81 for it. Since it is an 18 inch doll, free doll clothes patterns will be easy to find online.  I can see this little cutie, along with a blanket, diapers, maybe a baby carrier and clothing (made by me) all wrapped up in a pretty way being gifted to a little girl. 

Having a gift trunk is one of several parts of my working pantry and it is one that is quite fun to fill … and to shop from when needed.

patsi
A Working Pantry

If you’ve found this post to be helpful please share it with others or PIN it.  Thank you!
You can also follow me on Pinterest

This post linked to:  Thrifty Thursday; HomeAcre Hop

12 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love the thought of a "gift trunk!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a gift cupboard. I am sure it saves a fortune. I love trunks! They are very romantic to me somehow!
    When we rush out to buy gift thats when we spend too much. I try and make things all year and also add things I see on great specials. Also the same with wrapping paper and I make cards and tags. I have started on my Christmas presents plus have made two baby rugs so far for friends whos daughters are having babies. It is so nice to put things away and when we need something going to our stash!
    On my front verandah I have a huge old trunk... it is a roadside find. But its fabulous! It is really too big for our house. You have me thinking... could I find another spot for it... and could I use it in my pantry challenge somehow? It would hold ALOT. I will let you know what I can think to do Thank you for the inspiration! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Annabel ... I can't wait to hear what you do with your trunk! Would love for you to post pictures of things you put in your gift cupboard. Would love to see pictures of the cards and tags you make too! Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

      Delete
    2. Ok will do! I will take a photo of the trunk...you can advise me from there! And I have a card making post coming up, and tags, which cost hardly anything to make. Gifts are gradually all year. Last year I did a lot of crochet edges around kitchen towels, dish cloths, frilly edges on pillowcases, crochet rugs and things. I post them mostly under craft on my blog. But you will like this trunk and I found it on the side of the road for free. Tomorrow Ill take photos.. (dark now) xxx

      Delete
    3. I will look forward to seeing your posts and the photo of the trunk. I had a few minutes a day or so ago and went to visit your site. You are a very talented lady. Your handwork is beautiful!

      Delete
    4. Thanks Patsy. I took photos of my trunk but I dont seem to be able to post them here and I dont have your email add. so I will post on my Wednesday pantry post in a week and a half. Helen is writing this weeks pantry post with her progress in her home. We are using the Buddy System on this and doing a year long challenge together! I am looking forward to your next post in the series. Each one has been wonderful.xx

      Delete
    5. Annabel, my email address can be found on the 'start here' page. I hope to be able to get up a 'contact page' this week though.

      Delete
  3. Great post Patsi

    What a wonderful buy that baby doll was. I love having a gift stash. Mine is hidden at the top of my built in wardrobe. The beauty of having a large wardrobe all to myself. The year before last I bought at a clearance 6 white decorative lanterns and some tea lights. These I found were fantastic gifts for a huge variety of ages and tastes. They were all very well received. I have only one left now so I am on the hunt for something to fill up the empty spaces. I love to have my Christmas shopping (and a few spare gifts) done and dusted early so that if anything happens I am prepared.

    I made a pile of "fun" birthday cards recently and they have saved me a fortune. I still have a few left and once I am back in control of housework I will get onto making a few more. Besides the expense of buying a gift in a hurry there is also the fact that I don't really like shopping so having things on hand saves me one extra trip.

    Looking forward to your next post
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel! Would love to know more about your 'fun' birthday cards. I'm all about saving a fortune! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. I grew up with a gift drawer in my house and has since begun one in my own home. You are right, it is a blessing to have on hand!! Especially when the price is right :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When CVS has a deal on baby diapers and wipes, I stock up. I don't have babies (Thank goodness) but know plenty of people who are having children or grandchildren. I get a jumbo pack size one diapers, a jumbo pack wipes, drop it in a gift bag I got at CVS for free with extrabucks and I'm ready for any newborn baby gift giving activities. New moms love the diapers. I keep two or three on hand most of the times just in case

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, I really like the diaper idea ... now why didn't I think of that!!!! Great Tip!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...