Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Q & A: How Do You Can Potatoes?



Homegrown potatoes are so good canned up and I've recently had several to ask how I do it.

So, here you go ....

Wash and scrub potatoes

Peel potatoes

Cube potatoes (our personal preference is abut half inch in size) and place them in water in a large pot.  Make sure the potatoes stay completely under water while you're cubing them to keep them from browning.  I do not add anything to the water to prevent browning.

Boil for 10 minutes.  Drain.

While you're working with the potatoes and they are boiling, sterilize jars and get lids and rings ready.

Fill jars with potatoes, adding 1 teaspoon salt to each quart or 1/2 teaspoon to each pint, and cover with hot water (not the water you boiled them in).

Remove air bubbles.

Clean rim of jar, put lid on and screw on ring.

Process quarts 40 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure in a pressure canner.  Process pints 35 minutes at 10 pounds pressure in a pressure canner.

We enjoy these fried, in soups and stews and in casseroles.

 patsi
A Working Pantry

If you’ve found this post to be helpful please share about it with others or PIN it.  Thank you!
You can also follow me on Pinterest and on Facebook

This post linked to: HomeAcre Hop #109


4 comments:

  1. ok for the "hot" water that you cover them with would it be the water you boiled them in or fresh hot water? lol. Also, they aren't mushy? :) Thanks, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobbi, I use fresh hot water because of all the starch in potatoes and no they are not mushy. Good questions!

      Delete
  2. Does cooking them for the 10 minutes make them taste fresher than the store bought canned potatoes? I did a batch from raw last year and they tasted like store canned potatoes which I do not like. I hate canning and ending up with something we will not eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the ones I canned taste like store bought canned potatoes. It might have something to do with the type of potato you're canning. My favorite is a red potato, but that's just my preference. Different kinds of potatoes have different taste. Sorry, you're not pleased with the ones you canned last year. I don't think cooking them for the 10 minutes has anything to do with them having a fresher taste when canned.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...