Featured Post

If I Were Just Starting Out Building a Well-Stocked Pantry ...

I recently received a comment from a reader basically asking me where to start when building a well-stocked pantry.  Since I get this ques...

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Pantry Challenge #12 ... 2015



Signs of spring are all around us, this week the red bud tree just off our front porch has been showing off its beautiful flowers.  I love the colors of spring!

 
My to-do list from last time:   

Vacuum seal the oats we purchased on clearance in quart jars.  I have this project started.  As I empty and wash jars I’m refilling them with oats!  Thus far I’ve added 3 quarts of vacuum sealed oats to my pantry. 

Can pecans. Done!  I added 9 pints of pecans to my pantry plus 1 pint for the freezer. The canned ones will last for several years … unless we eat them first! Want to know how to can pecans? Go HERE! 

Scour grocery store and drug store ads for bargains and shop accordingly.  Done!   We didn’t find any bargains from the store ads this week, unless you want to count the buy one get one free special Food Lion was running on Cadbury eggs … yes, I confess, I had two of them … twice!    

 In addition:

We found half gallons of milk on clearance for $1.00 each at Food Lion. We purchased 10 jugs, brought them home, removed 1 cup of milk from each and put the jugs in the freezer.

Our Sam’s Club purchases this week consisted of a bulk can of Swiss Miss chocolate mix on clearance for $3.71,  free toothpaste from the kisosk, Advil samples from a different kisosk, and free orange juice, muffins and a banana.  Not as good as this trip, but we’ll take it!

We were given some fresh clams and my husband made the best clam chowder out of them.  It was a lot of work in getting them from the shells to the table but it was one of the most delicious dishes I’ve eaten!  I am so thankful my husband likes to cook!!!!

We had rotisserie chicken for dinner one night this week and ate all of it except for the breast.  I cubed the chicken breast, vacuum sealed it and added it to the freezer to be used in soup, casseroles, chicken salad, etc.  I then took all the bones and added them to my on-going ‘bones for broth’ bag that I keep in the freezer.  I’m getting close to having enough to make a batch of broth.

I had a stalk of celery that I needed to do something with so I chopped it up and froze it in snack bags and then in quart freezer bags.  I added 9 snack size baggies to the freezer part of my pantry.  I stuck the root end part in a bowl of water to hopefully get it to start growing roots and if that is successful I will plant it in a pot outside and try to re-grow it.

I cashed in enough Swagbucks for a $25 gift card from Amazon.

I received a 60% off of one regular price item coupon from JoAnn’s Fabric so I ordered a bolt of featherweight pellon for my handwork.  Got it for $11.86 plus shipping instead of the $27 plus shipping that it would have normally cost.

We added $6.50 in change to our change jar!   It’s so nice to see this filling back up again.
Here’s my pantry to-d0 list for next week:
Continue vacuum sealing oats
Bargain shop!

Now it’s your turn, what have you done to build up your pantry or live frugally ?

 patsi
A Working Pantry


This post was featured on:
Strangers and Pilgrims on Earth

22 comments:

  1. LOVE your work! Canned pecans...oh my...it never even occurred to me to do this. Quart jars of oats and clam chowder...you've won me over! Thankyou for sharing this at my Five Star Frugal Linkup. How very appropriate. I've saved this week by doing lots of DIY including washing and grooming our dog and detailing our car using not much more than soapy water, baby wipes and the vacuum cleaner. Everyone I know outsources these two tasks at a costs of at least $100 a fortnight! I've made lovely meals for my gluten free family, that if purchased readymade, would set us back well into the hundreds of dollars and I've made gifts that would retail for up to $100. I love your blog and will be a new faithful follower. Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi Mama, thank you for such encouraging words! I found your blog through Annabel's The Bluebirds are Nesting and fell in love with it too. Saving money by doing things ourselves is just as much a part of the frugal lifestyle as bargain shopping! Thank you for commenting and Welcome!

      Delete
  2. Bought 3 flats of strawberries (after $10 off $50 order coupon from the store) it brought them from $1/pound down to 79 cents/box which is $6.32/flat. I was able to slice them up and dehydrate 1 complete flat at a time in my dehydrator. So in 2 days, all three flats were dried and vacuumed sealed in my quart Mason jars to enjoy in our strawberry almond granola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah for you gardenpat! Can you share your recipe for strawberry almond granola. It sounds delicious!

      Delete
    2. Not my original recipe, but here's the link to what I started from: http://www.onehundreddollarsamonth.com/granola-recipe-strawberry-almond-granola/

      Instead of the rolled oats, I substituted 6 grain rolled cereal that I have in my bulk food storage. It has rolled oats, wheat, triticale, sunflower seeds and 2 other grains that I can't remember right now☺️,

      So easy and if I use my Silpat- like baking sheets on the cookie sheets, I find that I don't need to stir it so often either! The peanut butter in it gives it a nice flavor but not overwhelming!

      Delete
  3. I don't think you'll be topping your last Sam's club visit anytime soon! Love the pecans. I am proud of myself for cleaning out every closet and room in my house this winter and will be having a BIG garage sale. I will use the money to buy a baby crib for when my new first grandchild comes to visit. I am downsizing in prep for a move in 1-2 years, so I have an early start. I figure that saves moving costs too as last time we moved, our house sold in only two weeks and it was rush to go and we took too much. This time I will be ready. Retirement here I come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an accomplishment Gloria ... every room and closet! I'm impressed! You're a wise woman to be thinking ahead. It will make the transition easier! Aren't grandchildren just the greatest!!!

      Delete
    2. I am assuming it's the greatest, never had one before! Spoil them and send them home sounds good though.

      Delete
    3. Oh Gloria! What a special time you are in for!!! Congratulations!!!!

      Delete
  4. I have not added anything to my pantry but I did do a deep clean in there. I re-organized it, I really do have to use somethings up. I also took inventory and put a chart up to keep up on knowing what I actually have.This summer I plan on doing more canning so that we have more healthy choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cleaning and re-organizing our pantries is a necessary and ongoing thing isn't it ? I like the idea of having a chart telling you what you've got and how many.

      Delete
  5. Good Day Patsy! For frugalness this week we got meat marked down and put it in the freezer and was gifted a big bag of bread and buns. I have a bunch drying for bread crumbs and stuffing and the buns are going to b made into garlic bread. Frugal fails I made a white chocolate banana bread they like my regular recipe so it became dog treats. My other fail was I used denture cleaning tabs that I got for free with coupons to clean the toilets, I was not impressed! I finished a pink tutu and I put a little pink poodle on it! it is very cute! I will be paid for it when I deliver it. I have a lot of boxed potatoes and hamburger helper so I am sorting them by flavor and taking the packets and putting them in big ziplock bags and putting the cooking instructions on the front they take up a lot less space. I also took an XXL ziplock and put my boxes of ziplocks and aluminum foil in it and bent a hanger to hold the bag and hung it on a pantry shelf. Still using the drying rack for laundry and saving a few cents there. I hope everyone has a great week!

    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicky, you've had a great week! Lots of frugal things going on at your house! Thank you for sharing!!!!!

      Delete
  6. I am always inspired by your pantry additions! :) We baked 8 pizza crusts and put them in the freezer (our version of Boboli) along with adding some oatmeal and bulk beans to our reserves. We also made a first aid salve and started some new tinctures. Thank you for sharing on the Art of Home-Making Mondays this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jes, you are an inspiration yourself. I learn much from you as well!

      Delete
  7. Visiting via JES', thanks for all the very smart and savvy tips! We don't own a large freezer, and tend to cook fresh and seasonal, here on the island, since we're blessed with temperate weather, all year round.

    Have a wonderful week.

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing on the Art of Home-Making Mondays! Your article has been *featured and highlighted* this week! We would love for you to link up once again this week :) Happy Monday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found your blog, through Jes. Wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! This is my first visit to your site via Art of Homemaking. I'm so impressed. Following now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...