Sunday, June 28, 2015

Pantry Challenge #26 ... 2015



We finally got some relief from the intense heat we’ve been experiencing for the last three weeks.   The somewhat lower temperatures are suppose to last for about a week so I hope to be able to get some outside projects done while the weather is cooler!

My to-do list from last time:   
Can potatoes.  Didn’t get done … again!

Here's what I did get done though:
I canned 5 pints of yellow squash pickles.  You can get the recipe HERE.

I washed and sliced several squash to flash freeze.  I’m going to try freezing them this way for the purpose of going from the freezer  straight to the frying pan while still frozen. 
The same friend that told me about flash freezing the squash for frying purposes also shared with me her recipe for making squash/zucchini chips.  Here's the recipe ...

Squash/Zucchini Chips
Slice thin
Spray with coconut oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Bake on parchment paper 2 hours at 200 degrees.



I can't wait to try these.  She also shared a link to this Garlic Parmesan Squash Chip.  They sound good too and I'm sure I'll be trying those this week as well! 
I harvested 5 bell peppers from the garden, brought them home, washed them, deseeded them and cut them into fourths.  I placed each piece on the food chopper and chopped them into small pieces.  I filled snack baggies with ¼ cup of chopped peppers then put the snack baggies inside freezer bags.  I added 12 snack baggies of chopped bell peppers to the freezer part of my pantry.  I’ll use them in casseroles, frittatas, soups, etc.

I harvested more basil, oh my, it sure smells good.  I plan to make some spice mixes when I get through harvesting and drying my kitchen herbs.

I brought my garlic cloves in that have been curing in the greenhouse and am ready to start using them.  This fall I want to plant twice as much garlic as I did last fall.
I started another jar of cider fire.

I baked more of Gwen's Bread.  That's all the baking I got done this week!
I made up some more turmeric capsules and vitamin c capsules.
We ate our first tomatoes of the year from the garden this week. They were so good! We also harvested the first okra.  If all goes well I should have plenty of okra to preserve this year so please share with me how you preserve okra.  I need inspiration!

I planted some turmeric and some horseradish.  You can read more of my 2015 gardening journal HERE. 
On a not too good note, our cabbage is rotting in the garden due to the prolonged intense heat we’ve been having.
I didn’t buy any groceries last week.
I stitched up a pair of Mickey Mouse pajama bottoms for my little grandson, put a zipper in his Mickey Mouse pillow case and worked on my scrap quilt.  You can read about my weekly ‘sewing day’ HERE.
I’m well on my way to earning another Amazon gift card through Swagbucks.

Here’s my pantry to-d0 list for next week:

can potatoes ... yes, again!

 Now it’s your turn, what have you done to build up your pantry or live frugally?

 patsi
A Working Pantry

If you’ve found this post to be helpful please share about it with others or PIN it.  Thank you!

You can also follow me on Pinterest and on Facebook


4 comments:

  1. Hi Patsi! Still more and more rain here! It makes me sooo sleepy so I have been a little lazy or a lot lazy! I cashed out my swagbucks and was going to use them to stock up a little with them, but my vacuum cleaner broke and it was cheaper to get a new one than a part so swagbucks paid for my new vacuum instead! My husband shopped around and get his medications for half the cost than CVS was charging so he saved quite a bit there. We took in some scrap metal and I got $38 for my cans! I used it for gas. I got more surprise points from Kmart and got 4 more plastic containers free. So now I can do a little more organizing. Giant Eagle sent merewards and I got bread, a cup of yogurt a bag of baby carrots free. other than milk and lettuce and tomatoes no grocery shopping, but by using just the pantry for awhile I am finding the things I need to restock. I found 2 cents on the ground. That is all for me. Could I email you? I have something that I would like your counsel on, but don't think a public forum is the place to ask.

    Have a blessed week!
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, you can email me Vicky! Glad you had the swagbucks to get a new vacuum cleaner!

      Delete
  2. Hi Patsi~ I'm a new reader. I haven't had the opportunity to completely take in all your blog posts yet so this might be a redundant question. But why do you can potatoes? It saves me time, energy and supplies to store my raw potatoes and cook as needed instead of canning them up. Is there a reason I'm not thinking of?
    Thanks for your blog. I can't wait to read the rest!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth and welcome! I can potatoes for 3 reasons (1) we live in a very hot and humid area and potatoes will rot if you try to store them (2) they are delicious drained and then pan fried and (3) my husband is diabetic and it is the only way he can have them without them adversely affecting his blood sugar.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...