Friday, July 24, 2015

Learning to be Less Dependent Upon the Grocery Store: Fabric Softener

Previous entries can be found HERE.

We're still in the laundry/cleaning section of the 'Grocery Store' notebook I'm compiling and in this entry I'm going to share with you my fabric softener recipe.


I don't buy fabric softener liquid or sheets, I use this instead ....


(I have used this for several years and am well pleased with the results.)


Fabric Softener


3 cups white distilled vinegar
2 cups hair conditioner (I use the cheapest that I can find)
6 cups hot water

Mix all together and store in a gallon milk jug.  I use approximately ¼ cup per load.

I turn to the Basic's List section in my notebook and add white distilled vinegar and cheap hair conditioner.

patsi
If you’ve found this post to be helpful please share about it with others or PIN it.  Thank you!

 
You can also follow me on Pinterest and on Facebook

14 comments:

  1. I use cheap vinegar in my washing machine and the clothes come out fine. Store bought fabric softener should not be used as it's not good for the washing machine hoses. Apparently it coats the hoses with goop. Also not to be used when washing microfibre cloths.

    I'm sure your homemade fabric softener is much cheaper and better for the machine..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good tip about fabric softener and it's effect on washing machine hoses!

      Delete
  2. Great tip Patsi....and also from Wendy on the 'goop'! Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this recipe Patsy. I really must give it a try. Like Wendy, I use vinegar in my machine too, but this would smell so much nicer. I have a twin tub washing machine so I will be able to give it a final rinse out with vinegar to keep the hoses clear of any goop.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tania, I look for the really cheap fragranced hair conditioners. Combining sales and coupons have allowed me to get it for free or almost many times.

      Delete
  4. Patsy, All I use is vinegar with lavender essential oil added, 1 qt vinegar to 20 drops oil. After drying there is no scent to clothes but the oil is antibiotic and antiseptic, so know it is killing bacteria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rubies, I'm going to add this to my notebook as an alternative. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  5. I have used 1/4 cup white vinegar as fabric softener for several years and our clothes come out fine. I found a marked down box of fabric sheets, I cut them in half when I do use them the box is 2 years old still have 2/3 box left.

    Rue

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, use vinegar in my washing machine. Since we stopped using fabric softener my sons eczema has gotten way better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patsy, thanks for more great information. I recently added a handful of dried lavender to a gallon of white vinegar to use in the rinse cycle. I didn't know about the conditioner but I will try your recipe when I find a good deal on it.'

    I use cider vinegar diluted for my hair rinse so I don't even look at the hair conditioner often! lol Teri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teri, I don't use hair conditioner on my hair ... only as part of this fabric softener ... so I'm not picky about what brand it is, only that it is cheap!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...