Friday, July 3, 2015

Learning to Depend Less Upon the Grocery Store: Laundry Detergent




In the last entry I shared with you that before I started on my journey of becoming less dependent upon the grocery store I needed to set up some kind of system of organization and shared with you how I planned to do that.

I've got my notebook setup up and now I'm ready to add my first entry which is laundry detergent.

Years ago I tried the homemade laundry detergent that it seems everyone online either has tried or currently uses.  I liked it and have been using it for several years.  I haven't purchased laundry detergent in a very long time.

Here's the recipe I use:


3 bars Fels Naptha, grated (I have used Zote and Ivory as well.)
1 box Borax  ( 4lbs, 12 oz)
1 box Washing Soda (3 lbs, 7 oz.)
2 cups of baking soda 
1 box Oxyclean (3 lbs)

Mix all together in a really large container.  I have a huge dishpan that I use, I've heard of others using 'doubled' garbage bags or a 5 gallon bucket.  After I get it all thoroughly mixed I store mine in empty ice cream buckets and jars until ready to use.

Use 2 tablespoons per load

One batch usually lasts my family of two for one year.

After adding this recipe to the Laundry/Cleaning section in my notebook, I'll go to the Basics List section and start a list adding the following items:

Soap (Fels Naptha, Zote or Ivory)
Borax
Washing Soda
Baking Soda
Oxyclean

These same ingredients will be used to make other items that I have, in the past, purchased at the grocery store. Learning to be less dependent upon the grocery begins with a list of basics that can be used to make more than one item.


patsi

If you’ve found this post to be helpful please share about it with others or PIN it.  Thank you!


You can also follow me on Pinterest and on Facebook

8 comments:

  1. This sounds interesting, I tried a liquid formula and wasn't pleased with the dissolving! It was grainy, I may have to try this and see if I like it better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, when I first started making homemade laundry detergent I made a liquid one also and I was not a fan either. I found this one and tried it and have been using it ever since.

      Delete
  2. Patsy, please could you tell me what weight your boxes of soda, borax and baking soda are, as I think they may be different sizes here in the UK. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I added the weights/size amounts beside each ingredient. I hope this helps.

      Delete
  3. Could you please answer a question for me? When you say one box Oxyclean what size box? The washing soda and all comes in the same size box but our Oxyclean comes in different sizes. In fact mine is from Costco and might be extra big! lol I so like your blog and have been helped so much to add to our pantry safely. I don't know how you do all you do plus the time to help us. Thanks for all you do. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I added the weights/size amounts beside each ingredient. Thank you for your sweet words of encouragement!

      Delete
  4. Is there an easy way to grate the Fels Naptha? I've done it in the past and found it very tiresome since the soap is so hard. Maybe my grater was too dull?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcia, I use a very old food processor that I got at Goodwill 30 years ago. It does the job beautifully!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...