Friday, July 31, 2015

Learning to Depend Less Upon the Grocery Store: Floor Cleaning Solution

I have one of those floor cleaning mops that have the disposable padding and bottle of solution that snaps into place on the handle.  The solution is quite expensive when purchased at the store so when I found this homemade version by One Good Thing by Jillee, I added it to my notebook under the laundry/cleaning tab …

Cut a hole in the bottom of the bottle to pour the mixture below in.  The hole needs to just be big enough to pour the solution in otherwise it might slosh out when using your machine.  (You can also plug the hole with a cork.)

50% water
50% white vinegar (I have also used rubbing alcohol)
A drop or two of Dawn dish washing detergent


I then turned to my Basics List in my notebook to add the ingredients to make this and see that I don’t need to because they are already there!  This is just one example of being able to make different things out of a few basic ingredients!

Update:  I have been asked if this will harm the finish on hardwood or laminate floors. Here's my answer:  Some say it does and some say it doesn't.  If you have concerns, I would start out by adding a couple of tablespoons of vinegar and the rest water along with the Dawn.  If you don't want to do vinegar at all you could just do water and Dawn.

patsi
You can also follow me on Pinterest and on Facebook

6 comments:

  1. Is this safe on all floors, like laminate & hardwood?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicky, it depends on who you ask. Some say it does, and some say it doesn't. If you have concerns, I would start out with less vinegar and see what results you get ... which is what I'm doing.

      Delete
    2. I'm with you. Depend less on the store.
      I just wanted you to know how much I enjoy your site. You're always inspiring me.

      Love your quilt. You always seem to accomplish so much.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Welcome to the Garden of Egan!

      Delete
  2. Dear Patsy,
    I have a wet and dry vac and to wash carpets and upholstery they sell you a special detergent which is expensive. as my vac is wayyyy past warrantee stage I decided to make my own solution and it was BETTER. This is years ago and so I have saved some kind of fortune. Many of these products sold to go with appliances etc are just an attempt to keep getting our money. Nice try and I dont blame them but sorry I am keeping my money for more important stuff!
    The more we learn the more we save!
    With love, Annabel.xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...