Featured Post

This is Why! part 4

Parts 1, 2, and 3 can be found here . In the last entry we talked about how to use leftovers to help stock our pantries. This week ...

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Pantry Challenge #33 ... 2015

This week found me finally giving in and going to the doctor for a respiratory issue I’ve been fighting for about a month.   One of the medications I was given sent me into a 36 hour period of no sleep and then I only slept for 1 hour before I was wide awake again.  I have never been able to not sleep; I’m one of those people who only have to get still in order to go to sleep so this has been quite an experience.  I’ve taken the medication before, but it has never affected me this way!   

This experience has certainly factored into what I was able to do this week ... but like I always say, a little is better than none!

I harvested the last of the elderberries.   We were able to grow enough this year to meet our needs.  Yeah!  One more thing we don’t have to purchase!!!

I had some stained clothing that I removed the buttons from before repurposing.  I added the buttons to my button jar.

I made scones using this recipe!  It was super easy!  We added a bit of low sugar jelly on top and had a nice treat.

We butchered and preserved more chickens this week.  The meat part of our pantry is getting a much needed boost!

I planted 4 more lemon seeds that I had sprouted.  I’m anxiously waiting to see if they will come up!

We purchased some marked-down bananas we found while out running errands one day.  We rarely buy bananas unless we find them on mark-down.

I made granola this week for an upcoming event.  I made the granola at 4 a.m. when I couldn’t sleep!

We upgraded to Windows 10 this week free of charge.  I like it better than Windows 8 and you can’t beat the price!

I shopped from my gift trunk for a wedding gift.   This is the second time within the last month that I’ve needed a wedding gift and both times I’ve been able to shop from my gift trunk!  Win!  Win!

Now it’s your turn, what have you done to build up your pantry or live frugally?

Patsi

You can also follow A Working Pantry on Pinterest and on Facebook

15 comments:

  1. Great week for you Patsy! I love that you were able to shop for such a special occasion from your gift trunk! I shopped from my stash of pretty toiletries for two birthday gifts this week, which were 1 litre pump packs of body wash, a shower pouffe`, and a soap wrapped in French themed paper with ribbon and diamante buckle as shown to me by our friend Annabel at The Bluebirds are Nesting. I also shopped my pantry for a special dinner for my husband and I as we had a rare evening to ourselves. We enjoyed chicken and mushroom crepes and faux crème brulee` and were very glad we didn't spend $150+ eating out! And I finished two gifts of diamante appliques mounted on velvet and framed. They look very pretty. Have a wonderful week ahead. Love, Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi Mama, your toiletry gifts sound beautiful and I enjoy our at home special dinners even more when I think about how much we're saving!

      Delete
  2. Patsy...I was wondering if you could help me out with a question about yogurt. If you freeze it, does the texture change much once it has been thawed? I'm talking about the big containers of vanilla yogurt. Thanks so much for you help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn, it has been my experience that the texture does change a little, but for us personally, it has never been enough to be an issue. I always let it thaw in the refrigerator and then stir it all back up really well and use as normal.

      Delete
    2. I eat my yogurt frozen it has so few calories compared to ice cream or reg frozen yogurt.

      Delete
  3. Canned tomatoes and salsa and hot pepper jelly. One of my dear quilting buddies passed away 7 months ago and her husband and sister boxed up all of her quilting fabric/supplies and wanted me to take them. So, with a sad heart, I've inherited a tremendous amount of fabric to add to my stash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gardenpat, sounds bitter sweet with the quilting fabric/supplies. Do you have a recipe for the hot pepper jelly?

      Delete
    2. I tried a new, easier recipe this year that uses apple jelly. Since there are just the 3 of us adults living at home, we aren't using as much jam/jelly as we did when all 11 kids were at home. So this is a way I can "recycle " apple jelly on my shelves and turn it into something that we can have for entertaining as well as putting into the Christmas gift baskets I'm making for the 10 of our married kids!

      Here's the recipe: Easy hot pepper jelly

      32 oz apple jelly
      1 bell pepper
      5 banana peppers
      1 hot pepper

      Wash, deseed and chop the peppers into small pieces. Heat ingredients in large pot to a soft boil, stirring occasionally. Spoon into jars. Water bath can for 10 minutes.

      Really tasty!!!

      Delete
  4. Dear Patsy, Thank you for sharing Hildes recipe for scones. It is her birthday Wednesday and I will see her and tell her how far her recipe has travelled! Its such a good one. Old recipes I had called for the rubbing in of butter... which is a pain to do! This is much easier!
    My gifts are in a cupboard. I love being able to go to that cupboard and find just the thing! It is such a saver.
    But it saves time too, I can avoid the shops!
    I hope you are feeling a ton better. Even when not well you still achieve a lot!
    I feel I got a lot done last week and added to my presents but not so much to my pantry. I am trying to rectify that this week! With love Annabel.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found several packages of meat on sale this week and I added those to the freezer part of out pantry. Also found 5 lbs.polenta for $1 so that went into the freezer for a week or so then I will remove it and vacuum seal it in pint jars. I also found 4 large bed sheets at a yard sale(100% cotton) I wash and removed the hems and folded them into my material stash.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought six jars of store brand peanut butter for 99¢ last week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. gardenpat, I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. Such memories you will have working with her fabric & supplies.
    I too would like to know if you would share the Hot Pepper Jelly recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought lavender essential oil for free using points I earned and bought five large cans of chicken.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...