Featured Post

This is Why! part 3

  Parts 1 and 2 can be found here . Beginning with this entry and for the remainder of the series I’m going to be sharing with you so...

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Pantry Challenge #41 ... 2015

October is such a busy and beautiful month!    In our area it’s the month when temperatures start to cool and outside activities become enjoyable.

And did I mention that it is a BUSY month!!!!

My to-do list from last week:

Make Gwen’s bread … Didn’t get done!

Get a jar of cider fire started.  Done!

Make some elderberry syrup for cold and flu season … Didn’t get done!

Vacuum seal 25 lb bag of sugar in quart jars … Done!  I added 2 (1) gallon jars and 8 quarts of sugar to my pantry.

In addition:

I made some ginger ice cubes to go in tea/water by chopping it up, adding water and blending in a blender.  I strained the sludge out, poured the ginger water into ice cube trays and froze them.  When they were completely frozen I popped them out and put them in ziplock bags and then in the freezer where they’ll stay until ready for use.

I started teaching myself how to crochet this week.  I try to work on it a few minutes most every day. 

I started a soup bag for the freezer this week.  We had a small amount of leftovers left from a meal; it wasn’t enough for another meal or even enough for one person so I started a soup bag.  The next time I make a pot of soup, I’ll add the contents of this bag to the pot.  In the meantime, I’ll continue to add leftovers to it!

We found these boxes of frozen cod fillets at Sam’s Club this week for $.51/box. We purchased 3 boxes and added them to our pantry.  Before I added them to the freezer though, I took out enough for supper.  They were quite tasty and you can’t beat $.25 for meat for a meal!

We’re working on winter preps and this week we added two boxes of matches (250 each)  to our pantry.  We’ll use them for starting fire in our wood stove this winter.

We enjoyed homemade ‘TV’ dinners for supper one night that I had froze using leftovers a couple of weeks ago.

Sweet potatoes are starting to be dug in our area and we have started gleaning the fields, with the owner’s permission, after the owners are through harvesting.  I have a crate full curing now and in about a week, I’ll start canning them.

I finished shelling the dried okra pods that I harvested from our garden a couple of weeks ago.  I shelled enough for next year’s planting, packaged them up and added them to our 2016 garden seed collection.

I washed and cleaned up pumpkins and gourds we got while traveling recently and then sprayed them with a clear coating.  I’ll use them to decorate my porch.  The clear coat will help keep them from rotting.  I need some pine straw and dried corn stalks to finish out the decorating, both of which can be had for the gleaning.

I baked a 16 layer (yes, you read right … the cake as 16 (1/4 inch) layers ... see picture above) chocolate cake for my husband to take to a tool party that was being given for a young man who is about to get married.  I had everything in my pantry that I needed except the sour cream and we were able to borrow it from a neighbor.

And finally, fall cleaning has started!!!

Here’s my pantry to-do list for the upcoming week:

Plant garlic

Start canning 25 lb bag of pinto beans

Now it’s your turn, what have you done to build up your pantry or live frugally?

patsi

A Working Pantry

You can also follow A Working Pantry on Pinterest and on Facebook

This post linked to:  Home Making Mondays

6 comments:

  1. Oh that list makes me want to have a nap Patsy...lol! Great work! A sixteen layer cake? Oh my! Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi, it takes 2 hours from start to finish to make the cake and that is with no time wasted!

      Delete
  2. Wow 16 layers! Can't even imagine. You got some great sales this week. Wish our Sam's club did that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicky, I had never heard of this cake until we moved to this area. It is all the rage here ... it's good but it is certainly time intensive to make!

      Delete
  3. Patsi,
    Wow you have been busy and scored great deals too! You should be tired! I am happy to report no chaos has happened yet, but still no plate! LOL! I often wonder geez what's going to happen next! Anyway we took our change to the bank to cash it in and one of the local stores was having a great meat sale so we stocked up. The pork loin was $1.79# so we bought a very large one and I cut it into 6 good sized roasts and will include 2 in my son and his wife's Christmas box this year along with some of my kraut I've been canning. We had a few nice days that I could hang clothes on the line and picked some green beans from the garden. I am trying to work on my fall cleaning, but it is slow going. Kohl's sent me a $10.00 gift card so I got a small serving platter for my Thanksgiving table for 33 cents! Since things are starting to slow down I will start getting more than 3-4 hours sleep a night and I can't wait! I don't know about there, but we took in a load of scrap and the price is way down so when we get more we're going to hang onto it a little longer to see if prices go back up. I am doing just a quick hour or so class with the church ladies of any age on organization so would you like to see a pic of my freezer that I will be using? I am still gearing up for my big stock up trip I have cashed in all my swagbucks for Walmart cards so hope to get that done this week and add to the pantry. Save me a piece of your 16 layer cake!
    Blessings,
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicky, I would love to see a picture of your freezer! Things are slowing down a bit at my house too and I am ready for it! The 16 layer cake is already gone ... those men did a number on it!!!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...