Sunday, November 8, 2015

Getting Ready for the Holidays: Week #7

We're in week #7 of our holiday preps ... it doesn't seem possible but then when I think that it's just a little over a month until Christmas, I believe it!

This week is all about the food gifts we plan to give … what are you making? Can any of it be made in advance? Do you have the things on hand to make them? If not, it’s time to schedule when you plan to purchase them.

And now, it's time to share what you've got done toward your holiday preps.  What did you get done this past week?

We give one food gift to lots of people every year ... homemade fudge. We get requests for it from year to year and have already been asked by several people if we were going to make it again this year. Time to get those items on the grocery list! Also, I was able to mark two more gifts off my Christmas gift list ... that list is getting shorter!

Here's the fudge recipe we use ... it is delicious!  (from cooks.com)


HERSHEY'S KISSES FUDGE
4 1/2 c. sugar
1 lg. can Carnation milk
3 (6 oz.) pkgs. chocolate Hershey's Kisses (18 oz. all total)
1 lg. jar marshmallow creme
2 sticks butter
4 c. pecans
Mix sugar, milk and butter on stove on low, stirring constantly until a boil. Cook 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add cream, Kisses and pecans. Stir together ... this will get hard to stir.  Spread out in large shallow cookie pan.  Cool and cut into pieces. Makes BIG batch.


patsi

You can also follow A Working Pantry on Pinterest and on Facebook

13 comments:

  1. Is your Carnation milk evaporated milk or sweetened condensed milk? Also, do you use chopped pecans or pecan halves?

    Sorry for the picky questions, but I'm thinking about making this for some gifts as well! Thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already have one container of treats made and in the freezer from last week. I guess that makes me ahead of the game this time. Yeah!!! I also have homemade jam I made this summer to give as gifts.

    I bought a few more gifts and, more importantly, some major supplies needed to make some of the gifts last week. I bought super warm T-Max Heat type socks (cheaper versions but just as good) for some of the men and will be making them warm scarves to go with it. I also found really cute little tassels (12/package) at the dollar store, so I think I will print off some bookmarks (with tassel attached) for family members who are avid readers. I hope to get these gifts made in the next week or two.

    I'm still trying to decide what to give to a couple nephews and a niece (all in final year of high school), but I do have lots of ideas. I just have to make a final decision and commit to it. So far, Christmas is looking pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda, it does feel good to see all our hard work and planning coming together at one of the most busiest times of the year, doesn't it? You've done good!

      Delete
  3. I was able to finish 10 small candle mats and purchased small candles at the Dollar Tree to go with them. All total they cost me $10 because I made the candle mats out of scraps I already had. These will go to the girls I work with. I also purchase items at the grocery store to start baking my sugar cookies and peppernuts. Have a great week.
    Paula in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, I would love to see a picture of your candle mats ...

      Delete
    2. I will post a pick on A Working Pantry facebook page.

      Delete
  4. Since I live in an area where home canning isn't as prevalent I often give homemade preserves or apple butter and it's seen as novel. This year I made sets of different colored vanilla sugar for cookie decorating. I also plan to make biscotti for gifts this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought of making sets of different colored vanilla sugar for cookie decorating! What a good idea!

      Delete
  5. I love to give edible gifts, no waste and they're always appreciated. I haven't confirmed what I'll put in the hampers this year but there will be tomato relish, zucchini pickle, plain and herb pita chips, fig jam, cordial, biscuits (choc chip?), a small fruit cake and a small plum pudding. Everything except the pita chips and the cordial have been made, the biscuit dough and pita chips are in the freezer, ready to bake on Christmas Eve. While they're baking I'll make the cordial.

    I'm also doing hampers of spices/herbs/mixes that I will make. I've been saving small jars all year to put them in. The plan is to team them with a tea towel, a pot holder and a wooden spoon or whisk. These are for my SIL and a couple of good friends who like to cook.

    I can't wait for Christmas, I'm usually organised but this year even more so :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your hamper gifts are great! The recipients of those are going to be truly blessed. I'm a bit more ahead of the game this year too, I think doing this series is the reason why!

      Delete
  6. Dear Patsy, I made fruit cakes as they keep well. I have shortbread, Gingerbread, rocky road, spiced nuts, coconut ice and apricot balls to go, i have collected most of the ingredients. Most of this I make two weeks before Christmas. Right now I'm collecting things for my packaging, tags etc. I give a lot of food gifts. It is a big help. With love, Annabel.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We give a lot of food gifts too Annabel. It's a good way to cover a lot of people plus it's consumable!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...