Featured Post

This is Why! part 3

  Parts 1 and 2 can be found here . Beginning with this entry and for the remainder of the series I’m going to be sharing with you so...

Monday, November 2, 2015

Pantry Challenge #44 ... 2015

I've been busy this week, what about you?

My to-do list from last week:
Start canning sweet potatoes … got this job started by adding 7 quarts to my pantry!

Plant garlic … finished this job by getting the second raised bed tractor tire planted with 87 more cloves of garlic.  With 67 in the first raised bed and 87 in the second we should have enough … if it does well … to take care of our needs in 2016.

Continue canning pinto beans … Didn’t get around to this!

In addition:
We found banana’s on sale at Aldi’s for $.22/lb.  We purchased several pounds and brought them home.  To see what I did with them, read this post.
We also found caramel dip/topping on clearance at Sam’s Club for $1.98.  We will use these while holiday entertaining and for gift giving.  (This would be great for a ice cream fixings basket where all the recipient has to add is ice cream.)
We did some after Halloween candy sale shopping.  I’ll vacuum seal most of it into canning jars for later use in baking and snacking.  The rest of it will be used in gift giving and stocking stuffing for the holidays.
I worked on getting our raised beds cleaned out and ready for winter.  We have a total of 8 and I got 6 of them completed.  I hope to get to work on the other 2 this week.
I added new straw to the chicken’s laying boxes in the chicken house.  We’re working on getting the chicken house ready for winter too and restrawing the laying boxes is just one of several little jobs to be done to get this project completed.  So many winter preps to complete!
Here’s my pantry to-do list for the upcoming week:
My husband has a really big project that he needs my help with so I’m not setting any pantry goals for the upcoming week.  If I get anything pantry related done that will be great but it not, that will be okay too!
Now it’s your turn, what have you done to build up your pantry or live frugally?

patsi

You can also follow A Working Pantry on Pinterest and on Facebook

7 comments:

  1. Wow Patsi that's a lot of garlic! LOL You always get so much done. We are doing some of the same winter preps here too. I have to process the last jars of kraut and finish painting my shutter project. I have been running back and forth to my son's to babysit so I haven't gotten much accomplished here. We are also putting my old cat to sleep this week so have been taking time with him to enjoy him and say goodbye. I did take a rain check to CVS and had coupons so got 4 packs of Tena pads for free, but I got back $8.00 in ECB's for buying them. I also got 2 boxes of mac n cheese free and a 2 liter of soda for .71 so walked away with free money on that deal which I will save for another good deal or needed item. I had store rewards that I used at another store and got a package of raspberries, toilet bowl cleaner, a big bottle of coffee mate, 3 bags of tortilla chips a can of pringles and 2 packages of buns for ten dollars. Since it's getting darker early now we are still keeping off lights until dinner to try and save on electric. I found 32 cents to add to my change. And I think that is it. Well...... the chicken saga continues, but I will email you on that one since you may want to give me a whoopin! I promise I didn't cook one this time!!
    Blessings,
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had a good week .... I have to say I am most anxious to hear the next installment in the chicken saga!!!!

      Delete
    2. So very sorry about your beloved cat,it is one of the hardest things we have to do when the time comes

      Delete
  2. Hi Patsy...that IS a lot of garlic....lol! There'll be no colds and flu at your house! I had a good, busy week, but no under $5 bargains, sadly. I helped my disabled son with his new vegetable seedlings which was fun. He's studied Horticulture at college, but this is the first time he's applied what he learned. He's loving harvesting his own salad veges, and you wouldn't believe how quickly things are growing in our Spring here. Or perhaps you would! Hugs to Vicki on the loss of Puss. Good luck with helping Hubby. Love, Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi, yes it is a lot of garlic, but I not only using it in cooking but also in herbal/homeopathic remedies as well! It would be nice to be able to use what I'd spend on purchasing garlic in another area of pantry stocking!

      Delete
  3. Patsy,
    A few years ago I tried canning sweet potatoes. I cut them into cubes and poured a very, very light syrup over them. These were much paler than yours, but when I've tried to use them, they are so mushy that I'm not sure what to do with them. Frankly, they are just sitting there in the basement. Any ideas/suggestions on what to do with them or ideas for the future if I try it again?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Patsy. The last weeks I aimed to build up foods for easy summer meals in my pantry and fridge. Then to collect things I need towards Christmas cooking. This week I added emergency back up supplies of pet food. Pleased about that. I am trying to use up some freezer foods to make room for turkys after Christmas. Next week I want to fill gaps and think of things I've missed. Get ahead in prescriptions too where possible. Just take every opportunity to add to the storage. I will try!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...