If I were just starting out building a well-stocked pantry, here are some things I would do ...
1. Sit down and make a list of the things my family eats. This may seem overwhelming, but it is the foundation of your future well-stocked pantry so take a couple of weeks or longer and keep a journal of things your family eats. It doesn't have to be fancy or a big deal, keep it simple and just make some notes. Being armed with this knowledge will allow you to stock what you eat and eat what you stock!
2. If I was able to grow a garden, I would take the list I just made in # 1 and determine which items I could grow, preserve or make … and I would follow through and do it.
3. I would become a couponing queen utilizing them to the fullest including rain checks.
4. I would accept any foods given to me even if I didn’t need them at the time. I would bring them home and preserve them.
5. I would buy in bulk and bring it home and preserve it.
6. I would price match.
7. I would know what was a good price by keeping a price book. A small spiral notebook tucked in your purse or an ongoing list on your phone works just fine. By having it with you when you shop you won't have to wonder if a sales price is really a good price or not, you can check ... and when I came across that good sale, I would stock up as much as my budget would allow.
8. I would declutter my home so I would have somewhere to put my well-stocked pantry. You don't have to have a regular pantry room or basement (although both would be very nice), you can get creative in storing your pantry 'out of sight' all over your house.
9. I would look at this as 'a job' that pays off in savings and security for my family. If one is serious about building a well-stocked pantry, it is going to take effort and sometimes lots of it.
10. I would involve the whole family. You will be surprised how supportive and on board family members can be when they are part of the process.
11. I would barter, swap and glean every opportunity I got.
12. I would take on the heart of a student and learn everything I could from research and reading and from someone who keeps a well-stocked pantry.
Those are 12 things I would do if I were just starting out building a well-stocked pantry.
What would you do?
She looketh well to the ways of her household … Proverbs 31:27
Did you know that you can earn cashback by shopping through EBates!
The links in this post may be affiliate links.