Thursday, May 5, 2016

How I Grow Herbs

I enjoy growing and using herbs and I thought you might like to see how and where I have them growing.  Come along with me and lets take a tour ....

We'll start out front on the steps leading up to the porch, in the top pot you'll find basil, in the second pot is cilantro and in the bottom pot is rosemary and dill.




Around the corner is our elderberry bushes ...




Continuing on in the same direction you'll find a large pot of nettles, in the green pot is lavender, in the black pot is spearmint, in the pink pot is sage and in the remaining pot is a mosquito plant (not an herb)




Next is a big pot of plantain ...




 Peppermint is in the yellow pot below ....




In the large pot is lemon balm and in the other pot is turmeric. (The turmeric is just barely breaking through the ground.)




Out by one of the clothesline poles you'll find comfrey growing...




And in one of our tractor tire raised beds is garlic.




Not pictured is aloe and soapwort.  I need to get some oregano planted and have plans to add several other medicinal herbs to what I'm already growing.

Do you grow herbs?  If so, what are you growing and where do you have them planted?  In the ground, in a container, in a raised bed, etc?

patsi
She looketh well to the ways of her household … Proverbs 31:27


You can also follow A Working Pantry on Pinterest and on Facebook!

6 comments:

  1. I love how you've stacked up the pots. I'll bet it's lovely when they are grown. All of your herbs look so fresh and nice. Right now, I've got a large planter box my husband made with a few herbs that wintered over, such as sage, rosemary, and chives. Some chocolate peppermint in in a flowerbed, taking over, as usual. I usually chop it partially away with a shovel each spring.

    I''m leaving all of the herbs for the buyer of the house, except a piece of chive. It will not be hard to re-start the rest later.

    My sister and I have planted basil and cilantro in the garden at her house, and it's up. I will plant more tomorrow, since it's nice to have a succession of those.

    The ones I use most in cooking are chives, basil, cilantro and peppermint. I make pesto and freeze it in ice cube trays for winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. beckyathome, you are leaving the new owners of your house a gift with the herbs. I hope they appreciate them. I still need to plant chives. So much to do this time of year and I love it!

      Delete
  2. Patsy, Love the polka dot planters! I grow spearmint, peppermint, basil, rosemary and lavender. I am adding to the group this year with thyme and lemon balm. All my herbs are in pots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, I purchased those pots (plain)several years ago and painted them myself. They are beginning to need some touching up which I plan to get to in the near future. Hmmm, I need to add thyme to my herb garden as well. Thanks for the reminder!

      Delete
  3. Love your herbs! Yes, I grow several: lemon balm and mint are rather wild and pop up along the edges of my yard. In half wine barrels are rosemary, lavender (just planted the seeds, will see if they come up), chives, parsley, and basil. Yum! I also want to try tarragon for the incredible scent. Blessings! Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa, I wish I could get my hands on some half wine barrels, they are good for growing herbs. I've never grown tarragon before but might have to give it a try as I love the fragrance of herbs.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...