Featured Post

If I Were Just Starting Out Building a Well-Stocked Pantry ...

I recently received a comment from a reader basically asking me where to start when building a well-stocked pantry.  Since I get this ques...

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Disasater Preparedness Class #15

(Picture is of disaster relief boxes waiting to be distributed.)

Before I post the next topic of discussion I want to mention a couple of things.  It is common when power is being restored after a disaster for there to be power surges. Please make a note of this in your disaster notes and have a plan that will prevent your appliances/electronics from being fried should there be any. Learn what to look for that would indicate a power surge is taking place and then act accordingly.

Another thing I want to address is that your grocery store shelves will more than likely be empty or greatly reduced even after power has been turned back on making buying groceries impossible or hard to do. In addition, just because the power comes back on doesn't mean that the roads have been cleared or that they are passable.  You may have power and still be trapped in your neighborhood.   Make sure you factor these in when planning your disaster preparedness.

Okay, here's our next topic....

You were without power for 3 weeks, what did you run out of?

What did you learn about your preparedness level? In the very first day of class I asked you to rate where you thought you were preparedness wise. 

Do you remember what you put? 

Which of these did you think you were? 

Which are you now?

Level 1 - 3: Polly Put Off (I know I should but …)

Level 4 - 7: Cathy Can Do (I’ve got a plan and I’m working it!)

Level 8 - 10: Confident Connie (I got this under control!)

Are you a Polly Put Off? If so, which level, 1, 2 or 3?

Are you a Cathy Can Do? If so, which level, 4, 5, 6 or 7?


Are you a Confident Connie? If so, which level, 8, 9 or 10?

Patsi
She looketh well to the ways of her household … Proverbs 31:27

9 comments:

  1. I was without power for three weeks. What did I run out of? Patience. Seriously, probably ideas on what to cook from what I have in my pantry--trying to discern gaps, but now I'm working on that. What was in the disaster relief boxes? As far as a power surge, my husband is an electrician, so he'd be aware of that. I'd also be aware of it and the computer, microwave, TV and a few other things would have already been unplugged. I also do that when we have an electrical storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, the disaster relief boxes contained cans and pouches of food, boxed crackers, can opener, shampoo, body wash, toothbrushes, tooth paste, paper towels, paper plates, plastic ware and other things that I can't remember. There was enough food in each box to feed a family of 4 several days. We also distributed diapers, baby needs, clothing, yard rakes, wheel barrels (there was a whole lot of cleaning up that had to be done), brooms, shovels and other things.

      Delete
    2. ... and lots and lots of water!

      Delete
  2. Boy has life been busy. I just finally had a chance to catch up on all the posts you made since the weekend!

    I believe I felt I was a Cathy can do level 4. After going through your scenarios, I think I'm still a Cathy can do, but maybe closer to a 6 or 7.

    The 2 major things we ran out of quickly were water for drinking/cooking, and gas to run the generator. Other areas of concern would be food for our pets, medications and food that creates a more balanced diet which are easy to cook during emergencies. I also wish I had the ability to can some of the meat and veggies from our freezers, to expand our pantry options and salvage some of those valuable food resources.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda, home-canned meat is a must for our pantry. It has come in handy so many times!

      Delete
  3. I too am still a Cathy can do, but my level is climbing!

    Although I thought I had about three weeks worth of food in the pantry, and I probably do have the very basics, I soon ran out of fruit, vegetables, and canned convenience foods. Luckily I have vitamins! I plan to increase my supply of these foods and think about getting a pressure canner. I'd like to have more ready to eat foods that actually taste good. I have enough water for our family for about five days, longer if I didn't use the drinking water for washing etc. I plan to buy a lot more drinking water. I also need to replenish our bbq propane. I'm thinking about investing in a tent and another sleeping bag. In this scenario our house was fine, but a more likely catastrophe here would be an earthquake. I'm not sure how prepared I would be for long term camping, especially depending on the season, but some more camping gear would probably be a good idea.

    Thank you so much for offering this class out of the goodness of your heart Patsy, and for doing so without facebook, which I'm not a part of. It has been extremely helpful :).

    Marney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marney, for your sweet words of encouragement!

      Delete
  4. We ran out of:
    * Milk and all other dairy - Mom and I are now talking about getting some powdered milk - we don't like it, but it would be good to have on hand for emergencies.
    * Fresh fruit & veggies - We don't usually have a lot of commercial canned fruit or veggies on hand, except for tomato products. We definitely need to buy ahead/can ahead on the tomatoes. At this time of year, the orchard and garden are just starting to produce. At other times of year, we may have more in the garden and less on the shelf or vice versa.
    * Batteries - we've already bought some more now, but we would have run out right away. My dad doesn't like to buy them too far ahead because they lose power over time, but what good are radios, flashlights, etc. without batteries? We need to revisit this area.

    * Drinking water - We've already purchased a 5-gallon water bottle to go with the ones we already have. This still wouldn't last too long, but it will definitely help. After that we'd be back to purifying tank water.
    Canning lids (flat) - in order to can up meat and veggies from the freezers, we would have needed more wide-mouth jars or more regular-mouth lids. We need to look into buying these in bulk. Tattler lids are another option, but we would still need some of the normal ones for gift-giving.
    Pet food - We didn't run out, but we came really close.
    Patience!

    When we started, I rated us as "Polly Put Off" - level 3.
    Now, I'd say we're closer to "Cathy Can Do" - level 5. We were actually more prepared than I though, we've made strides to improve, and I've got a clearer idea of what we still need to do.

    -Susan O.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, so glad you were able to glean some things that will help you to be better prepared!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...