Featured Post

If I Were Just Starting Out Building a Well-Stocked Pantry ...

I recently received a comment from a reader basically asking me where to start when building a well-stocked pantry.  Since I get this ques...

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

My 100 Day Sewing Challenge # 10

Now that the threat of Hurricane Irma has passed (we are so thankful that we only got rain and wind) and I no longer have to think about preparing for her, I can return to my sewing challenge.

Thus far I have completed 21 of the 100 days I set as my goal.  This week I can add to more days to that bringing me to a total of 23 days.  

One of the days was while we were at a friends house while traveling.  She had been given lots of full and partial skeins of yarn along with some uncompleted projects. She asked if I wanted any of it and my answer was yes.  So, we sat and talked and wound yarn into balls. We unraveled uncompleted projects and wound that yarn into balls too.  We made an entire evening of it even getting my husband in on it.  We had such fun, laughing, helping each other untangle yarn and transforming something unusable into something usable.  Who knew that something as simple as winding yarn could be such an enjoyable task!  (These were the same dear friends who helped us break all those green beans ... yes, we are blessed beyond measure to be able to call these dear ladies friends.)  What will I do with the yarn?  I will use it on an afghan I have started that is specfically meant to use up scraps of yarn. (This whole basket is not full, below the yarn balls are small children's toys that we keep on hand when the little ones are visiting.)

The other thing I stitched up, and I did do this last week, was this table runner made out of burlap.  I had some burlap leftover from another project so I dug it out, cut it to the desired size and stitched around it to keep it from raveling out.  It took very little time to complete and now I have a much wanted 'fall' table runner for our antique meat box.  

I'm in the process of pulling together a fall arrangement to go on this meat box that will incorporate that big jar I found at the thrift store while traveling.


That's it for me this week, what about you, what did you get stitched up this week?

One more thing ... Don't forget to check out this week's featured post!

patsi
She looketh well to the ways of her household … Proverbs 31:27



8 comments:

  1. I just finished sewing and quilting a baby quilt for a shower I'm hosting on Saturday. First time Mom-to-be is having a boy and is super-modern and Eco-friendly so I chose a pattern I normally wouldn't have thought of for a baby! She doesn't want traditional "boy" colors for anything but rather gender neutrals and "organic" colors (whatever that means! 😉)!
    I made this totally from scraps I had so now OOP costs. I rather like it! And I don't have to go to the store and wander aimlessly up and down the aisles!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gardenpat, isn't it wonderful to be able to create something from what you have on hand. Do you have a picture you can share?

      Delete
  2. Patsy a scrappy yarn blanket with all that colourful yarn will be a rainbow in the house. Wonderful!
    I do very little to show the change of seasons here. It just isn't a 'thing' here. My only real concession to the change is a rug on the floor in the lounge is changed from a deep ruby red Turkish rug that once belonged to my MIL to a sandy rug in the summer. I'm don't even do much come Christmas. We generally spend a week around Christmas with my brother and I leave all the Christmas decorations and do dads to his family.
    I think that table runner will be a very handy piece to have on hand. I have sewn a small needle case that is going to be in a sewing and mending basket for my DIL for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane Allan, a sewing and mending basket gift is a great idea. What will you put in it? Do you have a picture of your needle case? I would love to see it.

      Delete
    2. I sent photos to your FB message account.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Jane, I'm off to check them out!

      Delete
  3. I haven't sewn anything large, I have just been getting through the mending I needed to do. That's an accomplishment in itself, for me anyway.

    I finished a scrappy afghan last Saturday, a queen size. So it's time to start on a new project.

    I plan on making some table runners for the holidays. We'll see how that goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LaurieS, good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...