Sunday, May 31, 2015

Pantry Challenge #22 ... 2015




 Last week was different than usual for us in that we had 4 year old twins staying with us most of the week.  Everything took twice as long to get done because they wanted to ‘help’ … and we let them ‘help.’  They ‘helped’ me pick raspberries every morning, they ‘helped’ feed and water the baby chicks morning and evening, they ‘helped’ gather eggs and feed the adult chickens every day, they ‘helped’ feed the dogs, they ‘helped’ in the garden, they ‘helped’ gather herbs and they attempted to make every step we made.  The end results were that they were ready for their naps everyday and slept soundly at night.  I hope their time with us created some fun and memorable memories for them.

So what did I get done?

My to-do list from last time:   

Start a batch of ‘Gwen’sBread.’  Didn’t get done!

Gather all my squash recipes and make sure I have everything I need to start preserving squash.  Done!  I'm ready and waiting!  

Forget about vacuum sealing the box of oats and the box of Cheerios that I’ve had on my to-do list for weeks.  Done!  

My plantain should be ready for harvesting again by the end of the week as well as the nettles.  I think I can start harvesting some of the basil I planted this year too.  Partially done!  I harvested plantain and basil but not nettles.

Start another batch of cider fire.  Done!

In addition:

I saved soda cans and added them to our collection.  At the end of the year we’ll take them to the scrap metal place and sell them.  They won’t bring a lot but every little bit helps.

I tore newspaper into strips and added them to my compost bin.  I’m really trying to work on different ways to get some ‘free’ fertilizer/nutrients for my flowers/garden without having to purchase it.

I harvested more raspberries this week … with me gathering every morning I was able to add 10 packages of berries to the freezer part of my pantry.  Since I am harvesting them in small batches, I take them inside, wash them, flash freeze them, put them in ½ cup increments in snack baggies and then into a quart size freezer bag.  This method allows me to ‘not’ forget about them while they’re sitting in the refrigerator waiting for enough to ripen to do something with.

I started harvesting spring onions this week and froze 8 (1/2 cup) packages and added them to the freezer part of my pantry.

I decided that I needed some more lavender to go in the lavender oil I’m making so I stepped outside and snipped some off of my lavender plant.   I cut it up into ½ inch pieces and added it to the oil.  In a couple of weeks I’m hoping it will be ready to use.

I harvested and dried more sage and spearmint.

I stitched up a couple of bibs for my grandson and worked some more on the quiet book I’m making for one of my granddaughters.  You can read about it HERE.

I’m earning points daily through Swagbucks and Bing.  I should be able to cash in enough points for $30 in Amazon gift cards in the upcoming week.

We added $3.50 to our change jar.

My updated 2015 gardening journal can be found HERE! 

Here’s my pantry to-d0 list for next week:

Start a batch of ‘Gwen’sBread.’   

Continue harvesting raspberries. 

Harvest raspberry leaves from growth on new canes and dehydrate them.  I’ll use them in herbal tea.

Now it’s your turn, what have you done to build up your pantry or live frugally?

 patsi
A Working Pantry

To Learn More About My E-Book, click on the link:  Yes, You CAN Have A Well-Stocked Pantry!

If you’ve found this post to be helpful please share about it with others or PIN it.  Thank you!

You can also follow me on Pinterest and on Facebook

10 comments:

  1. I added 3 bags of groceries to my pantry due to my daughter moving out of state:( Froze up 30 lbs of lean ground beef and 6 packages of chicken breasts bought on sale. Harvested fresh veggies from garden-spring onions, leaf lettuce, herbs, and hot peppers! I can't wait for the cherry tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry your daughter is moving out of state but glad you were the beneficiary of all those goodies! Score!!!!

      Delete
  2. I Patsy! I love a new week.
    Last week was pretty good and I learned new things. I added preparedness items to my pantry, did a freezer challenge to use things up and make room for bargains in the freezer, made soup and lots of other cooking. Started air drying quite a few bunches of different herbs.
    It is the first day of winter here. Yesterday was really cold! This is the season for me to get into making lots of crafts towards my present stash. If I work on things through winter come the end of the year I have plenty of Christmas presents already made. This is a huge money saver.
    This week I want to add more dried goods to my pantry and things that would make a quick meal. I will see what the specials are first.
    Have a wonderful week. The twins would learn so much and have so much fun with you. What a blessing it is to have beautiful Grandparents. Love Annabel.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annabel, I hope you will be sharing what you're making for gifts as you go along!

      Delete
  3. I found bacon marked down and bought four packages. I put them in the freezer and will use them as needed. I am also working on Swagbucks and my other money-making sites, but it has been slow-going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pasty, was wondering if you flash freeze the spring onions you put up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, because I freeze them in 1/2 cup increments in snack baggies then put them in freezer bags. If I was not freezing them in 1/2 cup increments, I would.

      Delete
  5. Hi Patsy! We got all of our gardens in! I am not looking forward to all of that weeding though. Let's see I cashed in coke points for a $5 Walmart giftcard and I have enough Swagbucks for $50 Walmart gift card so I am cashing that in as well. Did you know you can use them at Sam's Club? I am planning on using them there. We are working on using what's in the freezer for meals and I dehydrated a bunch of frozen onions and green peppers. I found 83 cents and added it to my change jar. I have been saving cans and have about 10 trashbags full and hope to take them in soon. I buy friskies canned cat food getting it cheaper with coupons and then rinse the cans and save them since they can go in with the aluminum soda cans. It's a small return, but it does help contribute. I seen that the price of eggs are going up 122% so I am very grateful that I have chickens and my Grandbabies love grandma's eggs. Collected the normal items when we recycled this week and my Kellogg's points are adding up. We are trying so hard to get rid of debt, but I'll admit sometimes I feel that I am boring when I read other's comments. I got paid for babysitting for the month so I am planning on picking up some things this week. One thing I really need to stock up on before winter is books! I will try the thrift stores for those. My teenage son is out of school now for summer and he is one that only comes out of his room for food or chores. Well the other day he was being a bit sassy so I told him he was grounded from his room and since he wanted to sass his Mama he could just spend the day with me and learn to appreciate what all I do by helping me! He apologized and asked if he could please go to his room and I said nope so he said what if I do extra chores? Well the dog pen and chicken coop got cleaned! He builds clay models and paints them and spends most of his free time on it!

    have a blessed week!
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicky, You crack me up with your 'discipline' methods. I love it! Getting out of debt is the best thing you can do, never feel like that is boring! Love your comments!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...