Featured Post

This is Why! part 6

Previous entries can be found HERE . Thus far we’ve talked about how I use leftovers to help stock my pantry, how I shop to fill my...

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Pantry Challenge #25 ... 2015



We had VBS this past week and I didn’t get a lot done but hey, a little is better than none!

Want to hear something funny?  You see the picture on the left?  We thought we were planting cucumbers ... the package said cucumbers.  I mentioned to my husband several times that the vines didn't look like any cucumber vines I had ever seen.  Guess what? There was a reason the vines didn't look like any cucumber vines I had ever seen ... they weren't cucumber vines ... they were cantaloupe vines!  We purchased some more cucumber seeds and planted them ... let's hope these seeds are truly cucumber seeds!!!!

My to-do list from last time:   

Can potatoes.  Didn’t get done!

In addition:

I canned 14 more quarts of squash.  I’m done canning squash for the year!   It’s a good thing too because the intense heat is killing the plants.  Our ‘feel like’ temperatures this week were between 105 and 115 every day!

Our tomatoes are starting to ripen but the sun is so hot it’s scorching them before they get fully ripe.  This means we need to pick them as soon as they start turning and lay them out on the front porch to finish ripening.  In addition to harvesting tomatoes, we harvested cabbage, hot banana peppers, jalapeno peppers, squash, egg plant, sage, peppermint, mint, plantain, nettles, lemon balm, comfrey, basil and lavender.  You can read more of my 2015 gardening journal HERE. 


I didn't spend any money at the grocery store this week!


I read an article in Backwoods Home magazine on dehydrating fruits and vegetables in your greenhouse.  A light bulb went off in my head ... why had I not thought of that ... so, this week I'll be trying it out.  It's certainly hot enough in our greenhouse and it will save on the electricity bill not running our electric dehydrator!


The lemon seeds I sprouted and planted a couple of weeks ago are coming up ... 3 of the 8 are up so far.  I am excited about this project and hope I can grow my own lemons on my own lemon trees!
I added a weekly ‘baking day’ to my schedule.  This will be a savings at the grocery store.  You can read about my low-carb baking HERE.

I grabbed a few minutes and stitched on the scrap quilt-a-long I’m working on. I’m using up a lot of my fabric scraps with this quilt which makes me happy!  Waste not, want not!   You can read about my scrap quilt and my weekly ‘sewing day’ HERE.

I’m well on my way to earning another Amazon gift card through Swagbucks

I earned enough points through Bing to get a $5 Amazon gift card.

We added $7.20 to our change jar.

Here’s my pantry to-d0 list for next week:

Can potatoes

 Now it’s your turn, what have you done to build up your pantry or live frugally?

 patsi
A Working Pantry


To Learn More About My E-Book, click on the link:  Yes, You CAN Have A Well-Stocked Pantry!

If you’ve found this post to be helpful please share about it with others or PIN it.  Thank you!


You can also follow me on Pinterest and on Facebook

6 comments:

  1. That happened to my daughter a few years ago except if I remember correctly, the package said green beans and cucumbers grew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patsy I had a good week last week and this week has started off so well!
    I like your baking day. I remember Nan had washing day, seeing day, baking day, shopping day etc. She liked it this way and she got everything done. I think routine can help a lot.
    I hadn't thought of gaols this week... I feel like I need to do so much. But each week I have added to my pantry and cellar. I will say my aim is to fill my new storage jars, add to my cellar, add water... at least! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patsi! What a beautiful garden you have! Ours is very waterlogged and I hope the roots are not all rotted it has rained everyday for weeks. My Mama came to stay with us for the week so we are having a nice staycation! I am soooo happy to say that come July we will be making the last payments on our debts. Then within the next couple of months we hope to pay off the mortgages. That will have to come from the 401K, but we prayed long and hard and the job prospects are not going well for my husband so we decided that would be the better choice because if it came down to it besides insurance the only actual utility we have is electric. Phones and cable are actually luxury items. I can attest that scrapping metal, couponing, samples, canning, dumpster diving, etc. all can help contribute to saving to get out of debt! I found a Crayola puzzle on clearance for 50 cents and a melamime dish set for kids for 1.00 that went in my gift trunk. I got a few Kelloggs codes some coupons and coke points from the dumpster. Drying clothes on a rack until rain is done remade leftovers so they all got used up and dried some potato starts to plant when the rain is over. They were sprouts off potatoes I bought, but if they grow more potatoes for me! I got another big plastic container from surprise points Kmart sent me. I love free money. And I went to CVS and scored some free stuff there too! I spent the day with my oldest son and his little family, boy are my grandbabies ornery! I cashed out for a $5 Walmart gc from Coke and $50 from swagbucks. I hope to stock up a little on something with those. That is all for me. You have a great week!

    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicky, I'm doing the dance of joy for you! So happy for you ... frugality does work doesn't it?

      Delete
    2. Yes Mam! I know when my husband first lost his job I was so doubtful and afraid. It has taken every cent we have and can get, but I am feeling much more secure except we have no emergency money. We need to work on that. I even wrote a list of all the ways I could serve boxed macaroni and cheese in case it got to that point. You know how God works in mysterious ways? Well prior to getting let go my husband was stressed from work and his blood pressure and this and that and he was getting unbearable! I prayed every night for months for him to find his peace and then boom he lost his job and since then he has not been so cranky about things and his BP is a lot better. We made a plan and we are seeing the results of it I feel like a very blessed woman! Now we just need to find health insurance that we can afford and we will be good! Thank you so much Patsi for all of your support and kindness during this part of my journey!

      Vicky

      Delete
  4. A friend had a hot surprise years ago thinking she had banana peppers and they were a hot yellow pepper. She found this out after putting many into a large bowl of pasta salad that was so hot it could not be eaten! What a blessing it will be to have delicious cantaloupes for meals in this hot weather!

    Our A/C was broken for much of last week and we could hardly think of eating for being so hot. It is not quite as hot here as at your place but nearly so and it about made us ill. I admit to grabbing a few meals out just for our sanity and quite a few stops for ice cream cones that never tastes so good as they did last week. Thankfully it is back up and going with the installation of a new heat pump.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...