Featured Post

If I Were Just Starting Out Building a Well-Stocked Pantry ...

I recently received a comment from a reader basically asking me where to start when building a well-stocked pantry.  Since I get this ques...

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Pantry Challenge #32 ... 2015


Another week has come and gone and I continue to prepare my pantry for the upcoming winter all the while living as frugally as possible.  

Here’s what I accomplished this week …

I purchased 5 packages of carrots on sale for $.69/bag and canned them. I added 7 pints of baby carrots to my pantry.

We harvested enough tomatoes out of the garden to can 24 quarts of tomato juice.

Our grapes are beginning to ripen so I went picking one day and found enough that were ripe to make 3 quarts of sugar free grape juice.

We had some ends and pieces of bread left from a loaf of white bread from when the doctor told my husband to eat it to help with his recent bout with diverticulitis.  I laid them out on a plate and let them air dry and will turn them into bread crumbs when they are completely dry.  Waste not, want not!

While at Aldi’s this week we discovered they were having a really good sale on skim milk as in …. $.79/gallon.   We don’t drink skim milk but I just couldn’t let that deal pass so we purchased one gallon and brought it home.   What did I do with it since we don’t drink skim milk?   I knew that I had some whole milk in the freezer that we had found on clearance a while back so I took two half gallons out of the freezer and thawed them.  I mixed the whole milk with the skim milk and viola I had 2 gallons of milk that we would use.  Now, we’re not milk drinkers so what will I do with 2 gallons of milk?  I’ll use some of it to make kefir milk, use some of it in meal preparations and finally, I’ll use the rest in some baking I need to do for an upcoming event. 

Also while at Aldi’s, we found organic salad beans on clearance for $.25/can.  We purchased 12 cans and added them to our pantry!

Our chickens are now 3 months old and we started butchering them this week.  We butchered 10 of them and added 6 packages of fryer parts, 5 packages of chicken breast, and 2 packages of wings to the freezer part of my pantry.  I also have the bony pieces to remove the meat from and can as well as use the feet to make broth to can.  There’s not much of these chickens that isn’t getting used!

I harvested and dehydrated more elderberries.  I think there might be one more harvesting and then they’ll be all gone until next year.   My elderberry plants are planted beside my porch which makes harvesting them easy and convenient!

I have more tomato peelings and pulp from the tomato juice I canned to dehydrate, grind and turn into tomato powder.  I’m adding quite a bit of tomato powder to my pantry using the leftover peelings and pulp.  Another opportunity to waste not, want not!

I harvested and saved some more Roma tomato seeds for next year’s growing season.

We found some black-out curtains on clearance that were the right size and color for our dining room windows.  The sun comes in rather strongly through these windows during the afternoon making that area of the house rather warm.  After hanging them we immediately started noticing a difference in the temperature in that area.   I’m hoping we’ll also notice a difference in our power bill!

A couple of weeks ago or maybe longer, I put some plain white flour in the freezer to kill any insect eggs that might hatch in the future.    This week I removed it from the freezer and will store it in a tub for long term storage.

We were gifted with 2 really large watermelons today … hmm, what shall I do with them … besides eat some, of course!

I watched the seventh episode of War Time Farm this week for free on youtube.  I am learning some new to me frugal tips from watching this series ... yes, I make it my business to keep learning as I age, we never get to old to learn.  There is one more episode that I haven’t watched and I hope to be able to watch it this week.

We added $4.50 in change to our change jar this week.

Now it’s your turn, what have you done to build up your pantry or live frugally?

Patsi

A Working Pantry

You can also follow A Working Pantry on Pinterest and on Facebook

23 comments:

  1. Dear Patsy, I am glad you are enjoying war time farm. Another I liked (but different) is cooking with Clara. (recipes from during that time).
    How lovely to be given watermelon!
    Your week was busy busy! I am trying to get this week off to a good start. Spring is in the air today, can tell it is just around the corner!
    Each week I have added to my pantry and the last few weeks to the emergency fund. This feels really good. I see progress.
    I too am learning a lot and weekly I think I am learning more. I would say this year has been a massive learning time for me. I find that exciting! This benefits my family heaps, our savings etc. I am much better prepared overall. Thanks to you and the ladies who share what they are doing! With love, Annabel.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annabel, Cooking with Clara is on my list to start watching when I finish War Time Farms. We're still in the midst of some really hot temperatures but one can sense that fall is in the air also. I am looking forward to some cooler temperatures. I've learned lots from you too, so glad we can share and learn from each other across the online world.

      Delete
  2. Patsy, Great list! You've been busy! I had more watermelon than I could use so I dehydrated some of it. It tastes like watermelon candy! I had to look up "salad beans" since I'd never heard of them before. Maybe I should pay more attention when I'm at a supermarket! lol

    Have a great week! Teri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm ... watermelon candy, now that sounds good!

      Delete
  3. This past week felt like I was just in survival mode. I guess I was. Nothing terrible, just lots of surprises and alterations to my schedule. Hopefully this week will be calmer. I hope to make jelly and salsa this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some weeks are like that MamaHen and we just have to roll with the punches! I hope this is a better week for you.

      Delete
  4. Make watermelon jelly, its wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try watermelon rind pickles. Taste like cinnamon candy but must let it set for a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We put up twenty-two quarts of Bread and Butter pickles and two reused 1 gallon mayo jugs plus two quarts of refrigerator pickles over the weekend.

    Happy Canning Everyone
    Hugs, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our cucumber plants died of heat exhaustion and we didn't get a single cucumber from them.

      Delete
  7. Patsi,
    Sounds like you had a good and busy week. Me too, but I like to be busy only fall left and then winter is when it is slow for me and I get to work on other things like sewing or crafts. I have watched Wartime Farm and Cooking with Clara both are great. I like learning new things. And I too have learned a lot from Annabel. I am working on a big clean up and organize! I was asked by a woman at my Mother in Law's church today if I would like to work with a few of the younger members and give them my lessons on home economy. They are really trying to reinforce the traditional roles of our homes and how it can be done when society says we have to have 2 incomes. I told her I will try. Oh yes if you have never dehydrated watermelon give it a try it is really good! Also apple slices dipped in jello powder and dehydrated are called candy apples and they are really good too! I did my $5 challenge this week (on FB) and working on the little bit of produce I am getting and taking care of the toddler.
    I sent you an email please let me know if you did not get it and have a great week!
    Blessings,
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicky, I have not received an email from you ... when did you send it? I think it's great that you have been asked to teach classes on home economy at your mother-in-law's church. Wish I could attend!

      Delete
    2. It may have been when you were having trouble with your router I will resend it. I am honored you would want to attend Patsi, but I think your an expert in that area and would have to help me teach LOL! They wanted someone who could offer a little bit of finance info, budgeting, being frugal, organizing and home keeping tips and a few other things. I just hope I can do this and not disappoint I am a little nervous about it. Also in a few weeks I will be teaching my first canning class and that is a paid appointment so a little bit of income there. The home economy classes I will be doing free.

      Vicky

      Delete
    3. That would certainly be some kind of class if you and I both taught it wouldn't it!!!! Glad you are getting these opportunities to help others and to earn a little extra money!

      Delete
    4. Vicky, I got your email and responded. Let me know if you didn't get it.

      Delete
  8. On Friday we went to a local orchard and bought 6 half bushels of peaches and on Saturday 5 of us ladies who are friends sat and peeled and canned for 8 hours and my take was 24 pints of peaches in med syrup and a little bag of fresh ones for breakfasts! Sure makes a hot, sticky job go faster if you can visit your way through it!! This week hubby is done with his yearly salsa making and so the rest of the tomatoes are mine! It will be busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, what wonderful memories you created by preserving peaches as a group! It certainly would make the job go more quickly!!!

      Delete
  9. What a great week Patsy! I did some gift making, and saved money and anxiety by cleaning my daughters pointe shoes with ordinary household cleaning items, prior to an exam...we had new ones, but they weren't broken in, so this was a bigger deal than you might imagine! I shopped carefully, accumulated some loyalty points that will have a value of $50 towards our Christmas grocery shopping, and planted some new herbs. Nothing nearly as exciting as everyone elses week, but a week I'm proud of all the same. Love, Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi Mama, saving money always gets me excitement!

      Delete
  10. Patsy, you had a very productive week! What a great bargain on those organic beans and the milk.

    I like to freeze watermelon balls and cantaloupe balls for winter. The watermelon is okay to make a sorbet with or an Icee. The cantaloupe is delicious to make a frozen dessert with in winter. I put frozen cantaloupe balls, cream cheese, yogurt, a sprinkle of sugar, and some half and half and blend it together really well in a high speed blender. Then I put it in serving sized dishes and return it to the freezer. Right before serving I sprinkle crushed up homemade oatmeal cookies on the top. Definitely not low calorie (LOL), but yummy.

    Hugs to you,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glenda, I love the cantaloupe ball dessert idea! Must try that the next time I need one!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...