Featured Post

If I Were Just Starting Out Building a Well-Stocked Pantry ...

I recently received a comment from a reader basically asking me where to start when building a well-stocked pantry.  Since I get this ques...

Saturday, November 21, 2015

Pantry Challenge #46 ... 2015

Boy, do I have a lot to share this week!!!!

My mother gave my husband and I Christmas money early and we used it to further stock our pantry by shopping sales!  (Remember we’re getting ready for a really lean 2016!)

Come see how we used it ….

My to-do list from last week:

Shop sales and loss leaders  ( I've got my eye on a good butter sale ... we'll see what I'm able to do!) Done! I found butter on sale for $1.99/lb and purchased enough to last for a year … (until it goes on sale again this time next year)!

I also found and purchased these items on sale …

corn ... on sale for $.49/can



mushroom soup ... on sale for $.49/can









chicken broth ... on sale for $49/can
I don't usually buy chicken broth, but this was such a good deal, I couldn't pass it up!







green peas ... on sale for $.49/can









 Le Sueur young peas ... on sale for 10 for $10.  My husband loves these peas so when we found them on sale we purchased some.  They are normally well over $2 a can!





tomato paste ... on sale for $.49/can (regular price ... $1.69/can)













pasta ... on sale for $.49/box










evaporated milk ... on sale for $.79/can

sugar ... on sale for $1.39/4 lb bag












Here's something else I don't normally buy, but these were on sale for $.69/each and I just couldn't pass them up!





In addition:

I ordered a book for my husband for Christmas from Amazon. I got it used (in good condition) for $4.  The book lists for $20.59 new!



I found a 10 lb bag of Northern beans (white beans).  I’ve never seen the white ones in this size bag before so we purchased them, brought them home and now they are waiting to be canned!



I washed a ziplock bag and hung it to dry. I will use it for non-food items in the future.

We had one slice of onion left from a meal so I chopped it up and froze it.  It will be enough to use in a recipe that calls for onions.


I had several really good coupons for JoAnn’s so I purchased the following  ...   The patterns (most of them for doll clothes, I have several little girls in my life whose baby dolls need a wardrobe) were on sale for $1 each and I had 60% off coupons for the rest.  Yes, I had more than one 60% off coupon!




I downloaded Once Upon a Summer by Jeanette Oak from Amazon (it was free at the time I downloaded it).  


If you’re on the A Working Pantry Facebook group then you’ve already seen this.  A friend saw this at a craft fair and came home and made one to give me when we visited this week.  Isn’t it just the cutest thing!  It's body is a roll of paper towels!  This would make great Christmas gifts! 







The same friend had some roses that had seen better days and I asked her what she was going to do with them.  When she told me she was going to throw them away I asked if I could have them.  She asked what I wanted them for and I told her I wanted to make potpourri out of them.  They are now sitting in a dish on my window seal drying.  After they've finished drying I'll turn them into potpourri.


Here’s my pantry to-do list for the upcoming week:

Work on vacuum sealing candy in jars that we got for half price in the after Halloween sales.

Now it’s your turn, what have you done to build up your pantry or live frugally?

patsi

You can also follow A Working Pantry on Pinterest and on Facebook



AMAZON DISCLOSURE: The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.

24 comments:

  1. I went into my local Krogers and found some markdown re fried beans- spicy, fat free and also refried black beans- all three varieties for 49 cents a can! I bought all 12 cans they had! I also bought 4 cans of green beans on sale plus with my coupons cost 14 cents each!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gardenpat, we don't have a Krogers where we live, so it was a treat to get to shop at Krogers while we were traveling. I did a lot of research so that I could get the best deals too!

      Delete
  2. You have really changed my thinking,could I possibly shop for a year? So much is clicking over in my brain. Fantastic post today, I am seriously thinking differently about shopping now.
    Would butter be ok for a year?
    Ruth Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, I've been buying a year's worth of butter and freezing it for years. It has always kept fine for me.

      Delete
  3. Dear Patsy,
    Wow! I am very happy for you and how wonderful of your Mum. What a good present and even better to spend it in the sales and make it go as far as possible. Those prices are all amazing.
    I agree to build up the pantry as much as you can as you can. It is just sensible. Even more when you know big challenges are coming.
    Thank you for your message to me. My Dad is ding much better. He is still in intensive care but possibly will go into a new room tomorrow which means he is no longer critical. Thank you for your prayers! with love, Annabel.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annabel, I'm so glad your dad is improving. It is such a scary time when our loved ones are in emergency situations.

      Delete
  4. Wow what great scores you found. I have been watching around here and there are some veggies on sale for 39 cents a can and I am going to get some of them this week. I did find 5# of flour at the Dollar Tree for $1. I just got one (little low on cash) but I plan to go back this week when I get paid and see if they still have more. The Thanksgiving poem was great. Thank you for sharing. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
    Paula in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, some weeks we have none to very little to spend to add to our pantry, but we work with it and do the best we can.The good thing is once you get a well-stocked pantry those lean weeks don't hurt so bad!

      Delete
  5. How kind of your mother to give you an early present and what a great job you did at the sales! You found some amazing prices!

    Do you wrap your butter before you put it in the freezer for a year? I freeze butter but I've noticed that sometimes it tastes a little "off" if it sits in there for too long, so I only keep what I can use in a couple of months. I'd love to be able to shop the sales once and be done for a year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. achatovercoffee, I don't do anything special to butter when I freeze it other than try to keep it off to itself on in it's own tub as it will absorb odors over time.

      Delete
  6. There were some great sales at the grocery store this week, but I didn't have much money. I did, however, have a $30 credit through their points program. So I used them to get the good deals. I was able to get $60 worth of stock up groceries for only $30!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You got some great deals. I love Kroger for their sales and their clearance section. I have been watching the clearance closely - have gotten some fantastic deals.
    Glad you had such a fruitful week.

    http://cherylsfrugalcorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish we had a Kroger near us, I'd do a lot more watching!

      Delete
  8. What a great week! Just what I needed to get myself motivated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you tadpole! Encouraging and teaching others is why I do what I do.

      Delete
  9. Awesome shopping Patsi! We don't have a Kroger's near us, but if they have sales like that it may be worth the hour or so drive to stock up! We don't their ads, but I suppose I can find them online. I am so glad you got all of those good deals what a blessing!
    XOXO
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicky, we don't have a Kroger near us either or even within an hour or so drive! They don't exist in our part of the world!

      Delete
  10. I have been keeping the pantry stocked up as well this week. I found canned green beans for .28/can limit 12. I will go again before Wed. and purchase another 12. Pasta was on sale for .49/lb. I added 8 more to the shelf. Cake mixes were .49/each. I added 2 more to the pantry. Potatoes were on sale for 1.49/10lbs. It's a great time of year to restock items that will last throughout the year. My husband moved my upright freezer to my laundry room making it easy for me to organize and plan meals. I can now grab something before work and put it into the crockpot for supper. It's my favorite tool in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom at home, those are some good prices! I love having my pantry organized where everything is easy to get to!

      Delete
  11. Are there any Kroger affiliate stores nearby like Gerbes, Ralph's, Fred Myers' , Dillon's or the rest? They have great sales too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Patsy I don't know if you are aware of this or not but with the cake mixes you can use water for the measure of oil the package calls for. It makes a very nice cake all the same, light and nice, not dry in the least. I've done that for years because I figured it kept the cost of the cake very inexpensive and cut down on calories. You can't beat the price of a good sale priced cake mix when all you have to do is add water and eggs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that tip Terri, I had not thought of that!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...