~ from my home to yours, living the Working Pantry lifestyle ~ surviving today's economy ~ a can-do spirit and attitude ~

Friday, May 20, 2022

He Shops, She Shops! #1

While I work on this week's 'What's That In Your Hand?' post I thought I would try out a new series and see what kind of response I get?

Hubby and I are quite the bargain shoppers; we enjoy the challenge and the hunt.   Sometimes we shop together and sometimes we head in different directions in the same store.  Regardless though, the goal is to find bargains on things we use whether we're shopping together or apart!

This morning, after doing morning chores, we headed into town for a bargain shopping trip.  Here's what we found ...


Let's break this picture down into what hubby found, what I found and then see which of us found the better bargains ...

We'll start with what I found ...

chicken gizzards for $3.55, I had a $1.50 off coupon making it $1.55

over ripe bananas (1.58 lbs) for $.29/lb, regular price $.39/lb  I plan on making banana bread out of these. Some to eat now and some to freeze for later.  I love thick sliced (approximately 1 inch thick) banana bread lightly toasted.  I paid $.46 for these banana's instead of the regular price of $.62.

Neese's sausage, reduced down from $2.58 to $1.41

Totals breakdown for the bargains I found ...

Regular price:  $6.75

Bargain price:  $3.42

Amount saved:  $3.33

What about hubby, how did he do?

He found the ...

10 lb pork shoulder butt (I know the sticker says its 4 lbs, but hubby ask them to reweigh it and it was 10lbs.) for $6.13, regular price $10.21.  The most of this will be canned for future use.  I like the idea of having shelf stable pork ready to drain and add BBQ sauce too.  It makes a great BBQ sandwich when you're short on time and need to prepare a meal!

11.94 lb shoulder ham shank for $10.63.  This was the only one on sale for $.89/lb, all the others were on sale for $.99/lb.  The plan is to can the most of it either in ham chunks or in ham and pinto beans.

Totals breakdown for the bargains hubby found ...

Regular price:  $22.03

Bargain price:  $16.76

Amount saved:  $5.27

Hubby found the bigger bargains this week, he has a keen eye for bargains!

I hope you've enjoyed reading about one of our bargain shopping adventures.  This week our bargain shopping was done in the grocery store, sometimes it's in other places.  Let me know in the comments if seeing future 'He Shops, She Shops' posts like this are of interest to you.  If so, is it helpful to read how I plan to use what we find?

Until the next post ...

patsi

A Working Pantry

She looketh well to the ways of her household … Proverbs 31:27

You can receive A Working Pantry blog posts via:

Bloglovin (signup in the sidebar) ...

Email subscription service, follow.it (sign up on the sidebar)

A Working Pantry Instagram page

 You can view my privacy policy HERE.

22 comments:

  1. Wow! Those are some great deals! Great bargain hunting!

    My husband does not shop alone or know what is a great price but the two of us bought 20 cans of Luck's beans for 50 cents a can and Nellie's cage free eggs for .98 a dozen with coupons and sale. We were 20 miles from home and stopped at Walmart and found a number of items we have been looking for. I find it interesting these days how the supply is different so near to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana, That is an amazing deal on the Luck's beans and on the eggs! I agree, the supply/availability issue makes no sense!

      Delete
  2. I love this! Chris usually does the shopping and knows to look for markdowns. I try and go on Monday mornings to see what I can find,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, it's interesting to see the difference in what men look for and what women look for!

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed this new series! I loved hearing about your plans for your purchases—it's always helpful to get new ideas. I love toasted banana bread too!

    With love from,
    Kelly (Mrs. Kiwi)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Kiwi, thank you! I like reading about how others use things as well, like you, it gives me new ideas.

      Delete
  4. Some really good prices but you won the competition because your discount was about 50% and his was only about 25%. I love it when my husband spots deals and he's good at that too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita, If you look at it that way, I sure did! Go me!!!

      Delete
  5. Patsy that is wonderful that both of you keep an eye out for bargains and between you find so many bargains :) .

    Hubby and I are the same and I think the more sets of bargain eyes you have the better. DH is taller than I and sometimes notices some really great bargains that I cannot see so between the two of us we do well with our bargain hunting shopping together.


    Lorna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorna, my hubby is taller than me too and yes, that extra height does come in handy!!!

      Delete
  6. I loved this, please keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that you won. I will like this series. Tommy very seldom shops alone, but when he does and spots something we want or need, he will get it or alert me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Practical Parsimony, my hubby does that too when he's out and finds a deal!

      Delete
  8. What a great post idea! I knew your husband was very good about finding bargains but I like the idea of you sharing what each of you buy (whether in the same store or separate ones) to see who is the bargain hunter of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed reading this too, and would like knowing how you plan to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this was fun reading

    my husband is not a bargain shopper--he has no clue

    lately though I've been telling him about the prices of the food he's eating so he realizes how much I bargain shop....I hope someday he'll understand it!
    ~margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, you're right, those who don't shop really don't have a clue.

      Delete
  11. We loved reading this post and look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete