~ from my home to yours, living the Working Pantry lifestyle ~ surviving today's economy ~ a can-do spirit and attitude ~

Monday, January 30, 2023

Pantry Building Challenge: 1/30/23

   Welcome to A Working Pantry and today's post!

if this is your first visit, we hope you find something that will make you want to come back.  If you are a regular reader, please know that you are appreciated so very much!  I love the little community of frugal living, like-minded, pantry building people we are building here and am happy that you've chosen to be a part of it!

Our challenge for last week had us looking at the numbers in our street address.  What is the last number in your street address?  That's the number of items you're to add to your pantry this week.  For example, if your street address is 423 Front Street, then you would add 3 items to your pantry.

The last number in my address is 7, so I went looking for 7 items to add to my pantry ...


I decided on 2 bags of Epsom salt and 8 packages of contender green beans.
Each of the bags of Epsom Salt are 2 lb size.  Right beside these in the store were 1 lb size bags for the same price ... $1.25 each.

The contender green beans came from the same store and were 4 packages for $1.  These are heirloom seeds which means I can save the seeds from them every year and not have to purchase them again.

All of these items came from the Dollar Tree.

By carefully considering and thinking through my purchases I was able to get the better deal on the salts and add seeds to my seed pantry that will keep on giving year after year.

How did you do?

Our challenge for this week is to take notice of one item you need for your pantry ... and then buy at least two of them.  

From the archives:


I hope you've found something helpful or inspiring in today's post!

Until tomorrow ...

Patsi 

Sharing 42 years' experience of frugal, prudent living and pantry building 

A Working Pantry

My second blog:  From This Heart of Mine 

She looketh well to the ways of her household … Proverbs 31:27 

You can view my privacy policy HERE

15 comments:

  1. Those Contender green beans did so well for us last year that we bought all that our store had in stock. I did save seed last year but do not know if they will germinate.

    Our number is zero but we got a gallon of vegetable oil for 6.45, 3 bottles of coleslaw dressing 3/$1 and Thomas English muffins for $1 a pkg. We buy soda in cans about twice a year and we're out of root beer for the grandchildren and ginger ale. I was glad to see a sale 2/$7.98. I got $1 back on Ibotta for the ginger ale which sweetened the deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana, your contender bean seeds should germinate, I'd try them!

      Must get more root beer for the grands!!! I totally understand!

      You had another successful week of frugal grocery shopping! Way to go!

      Delete
  2. Patsi you did really well and the seeds were a very low price as they are heirloom seeds and you can save seed and replant them for many years :) .

    Been following along silently from Australia here and as our street number ends in a 2 we purchased 2 can openers as our last one stopped working so now I will have a spare in stock.

    Have a great week :).

    Lorna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorna, I'm glad you spoke up! What a wise purchase ... can openers! Without them our canned goods are no good to us! I think I'll add one to my shopping list as a backup! Thank you!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Patsi and yes had me thinking as we go to town infrequently from our country village and went without a can opener for a few days as it had broken. We do however have a backup military issue one that my husband has but I prefer the wind handle ones :).

      Glad you will be adding this to your shopping list and with so many tinned items here we need a few can openers.

      Lorna.

      Delete
  3. The last number in our street address is a "1", so I took the one frozen turkey breast and roasted it to put in bags in the freezer. That way, the protein is ready to go when I don't want to or don't feel like cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Practical Parsimony, just look what you did with that 'one' ... that's just so smart!!

      Delete
  4. You did really well with the seeds and epsom salts. The last number in our address is a 6. I added to y freezer pantry by making 3 dozen English muffins and six dozen of the Pioneer Woman recipe for brown sugar oatmeal raisin cookies. One of my goals for January was to use my Instant Pot more. I accomplished that goal and added meals to the freezer by cooking turkey thighs in it which also give us a couple of cups of good broth and a lamb roast that was in the freezer that we had for dinner one night and then sliced it up to make six more meals from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cookie, I'll have to check out the recipe for the Pioneer Woman's brown sugar oatmeal raisin cookies. They sound delicious and would be a nice little valentine gift to give. I don't have an Instant Pot but I hear great things about them. You really did great with your number 'six' too! I love how everyone is taking a little and multiplying it into alot!!!

      Delete
  5. My number is 9 and, because I was away from home for the last week, I did not meet my goal. But, I did add a bottle of a favorite salad dressing to my pantry -- one that I'd typically buy online, and carried it home in my luggage, along with a spice blend for using on the BBQ once it warms up a little. I returned home to a -3* temp last night, a real shock to the system after a weekend high of 85* and sunshine. Will be on the look-out this week to catch up with 7 more. The mention of garden seeds has my mind going right now (and Dollar Tree is just up the street).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, our Dollar Tree didn't have a very big selection of seeds, not like in years past, I hope yours has more. The price is perfect though!

      Negative 3 is cold, whew and I'm sure it felt even colder after being in 85 degree temps!

      We'll look forward to seeing how you finish out the, for you, '9' item challenge.

      Delete
  6. 9: I added 1 #10 long shelf life can of dry powdered milk, 6 boxes of onion soup mix, 1 very big bottle of Montreal steak seasoning, 4 cans of water chestnuts...all those went into the pantry and all were bought at a very good price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, look at you, you go girl! Love seeing the variety you added to your pantry!

      Delete
  7. Mine was 0. But I added
    2 boxes Atkins bar (clearance)
    4 Instant oatmeal (sale)
    24 cans of prescription cat food

    ReplyDelete