~ from my home to yours, living the Working Pantry lifestyle ~ surviving today's economy ~ a can-do spirit and attitude ~

Thursday, February 9, 2023

A Journal of My Days: 2/9/23

Yesterday, I felt like I was having a covid recovery setback, but today, I'm much better after doing a round of cider fire every 3 hours for 24 hours.

This morning we defrosted and inventoried our upright freezer. (Our upright freezer is not frost free, so this has to be done on a regular basis.) Hubby helped which made the project a lot easier.


I finished the blocks and got them trimmed up as the next step in my sister and mine's quilt a-long.  We are ready to start putting the quilt top together and stitching it up!

Hubby fixed bacon wrapped asparagus for our main meal of the day yesterday, and after we finished defrosting and inventorying the freezer, we enjoyed the rest of them for part of our main meal of the day today!  They were just as good!


After we finished our main meal of the day, I popped a meatloaf from the freezer in the oven to cook for tomorrow.  Once it's completely cooled, I'll refrigerate it until we're ready to have our main meal.


I also cooked a squash casserole that was also in the freezer.  The cheese got a little toasty, but it doesn't hurt the taste at all.  It too went into the refrigerator to enjoy with the meatloaf tomorrow.


I cooked up more sausage patties, these get frozen for future heat and eat quick breakfasts!

I finished the book I was reading, The Orchard by Beverly Lewis and started another one, The Shabby Chic Home, by Rachel Ashwell.  I have fallen in love with reading all over again and am making it a priority.

That's it for today, it was a busy one, but since I was feeling so much better, I was delighted to be able to work in my home!

Until tomorrow ...

Patsi 

Sharing 42 years' experience of frugal, prudent living and pantry building 

A Working Pantry

My second blog:  From This Heart of Mine 

She looketh well to the ways of her household … Proverbs 31:27 

You can view my privacy policy HERE

12 comments:

  1. I love a newly defrosted freezer. I have go and look at it over and over!

    Tonight we were getting supper ready and Hubby pulled out the package of Mac n cheese he had taken out to thaw and ooops...it was lasagna. A quick look in the cupboard and we grabbed a rice mix that was 9 cents last week to go with a little leftover meatloaf and salad. Guess what we are eating tomorrow night?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana, oh boy, can I relate!!!! If I forget to label it or think that I'll remember what's in the container, we are open for a surprise!!!

      The lasagna will be delicious whenever you have it!

      Delete
    2. The food was all labeled. This is just life with a brain injury. At least we could work around this one.

      Delete
    3. Lana, I didn't even think about that, I'm sorry. You all did good working around it.

      Delete
    4. No need to be sorry! It is what it is! But, there has been a back and forth about that pack of lasagna for months! I knew it was in that freezer and he has told me that it was not there many times and then it shows up instead of mac n cheese! This is when I remind myself of the ten days that he was in a coma and I begged God to give him back to me.

      Delete
    5. Lana, I'm so glad God answered your prayer!

      Delete
  2. Cider fire sounds like a high powered alcoholic drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Practical Parsimony, not hardly! It's an herbal remedy I learned about via Rosemary Gladstar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU8U0bDmXks&t=11s

      Delete
  3. Ok I have to ask…What is cider fire? Nancy in Washington state

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, cider fire is an herbal remedy I learned about via Rosemary Gladstar. I have made and used it for years. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU8U0bDmXks&t=11s

      Delete
  4. Oh, that bacon wrapped asparagus looks so good! Though I love it, I'm allergic to asparagus (I've known for years, so that was no recent surprise) but I saw a recipe the other day for bacon wrapped green beans that I want to try.
    I need to get back in the habit of reading again. Once I start, I really enjoy it. It's just a matter of getting started again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelsey, I had to make several attempts at putting different helps into place to get started again and I don't have any small children. Be kind to yourself in your efforts.

      Delete