Total must be $5 or less each week not including taxes.
Must be a separate purchase ... in other words it cannot be hand-picked items from our weekly grocery haul that totals $5 or less.
All items must come from a grocery store, farmers market, etc. In other words they must be purchased. No running out to the garden and putting a grocery store price on items harvested or shared with us. This challenge is meant to stretch us in utilizing a small amount of money to help build up and or restock our pantry.
Must be items we regularly use. This will keep us from seeing a good deal on something 'we might like' and spending our 'challenge money' only to never get around to trying it or finding out we don't like it at all. This challenge is for our tried and true pantry building basics. Think mid - long term pantry stocking.
This challenge includes all things in our pantry: food, toiletries, cleaning supplies, etc.
One more guideline ... no rolling money over from week to week. We have to spend it or lose it!
This challenge will end on September 21st, the last day of summer.
Here's what I added to my pantry for the sum total of $5.00 before tax this week ...
Okay, now it's your turn ... what did you spend your $5 on this week and if it's a food, how do you plan on using it?
Until the next time ...
Other Places You Can Find Me ...
Mrs. Patsi on Instagram
Disclaimer: Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links. This means that if you click on the link and place an order, etc I earn a small fee at no increased cost to you. Thank you for your support through these means.
Thank you for using my Amazon affiliate link when placing your Amazon orders. I earn a small percentage that doesn't increase what you pay.
If you are encouraged by what you read here, please consider supporting my work via one of the following ways. Your expressions of appreciation help me keep my pantry well-stocked and me motivated to keep on keeping on with my attempts to inspire and encourage you (Titus 2:3-5) through my writings!


.png)
I bought 5 pounds of chicken legs for.99/#. I portioned this out into meal size portions and added marinade to the freezer bags. I added the bags to our freezer pantry. Marley
ReplyDeleteMarley, you did good!!! I like the way you think!
DeleteI bought a can of pink salmon and a box of Jiffy cornbread mix. $4.68 total. Looking forward to that meal!
ReplyDeleteAunt Diane, it sounds delicious and knowing you have that meal in the pantry for future use is even better!
DeleteA quick and easy baked treat is 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies. Bonus is they're gluten free. Our local grocery had a 4 pound jar on sale for $ 4.89. I bought it! I often add a handful of chocolate chips to the recipe. Peanut butter around here has been going for $1.98 for a 12 ounce jar . Cookie
ReplyDeleteCookie, thank you! What do you use for the sweetener ... white sugar, brown sugar or something else?
DeleteI use white sugar. The recipe I use is 1 cup smooth peanut butter, 1 cup sugar, and one egg. Sometimes I add a tsp. of vanilla and a handful of chocolate chips. I have a cookie scoop but you could use a TBSP to drop on parchment lined pan. I usually flatten them a little bit with the palm of my hand (It seems to work better than a glass). It yields about 1 1/2 dozen cookies. Bake at 350 for approximately 10-13 minutes. DO NOT OVERBAKE. Cool on the pan for 5 minutes. The cookies will set. Remove and continue to cool on a wire rack. These freeze well. PS These easily come together without using a mixer
Deleteso it's also something a child can help make or make themselves. Cookie
We added two packages of napkins for $1.50 each and two packs of buns for $1 each. Buns get double bagged and frozen to take out as needed. We spent exactly $5.
ReplyDeleteLana, I like the way you freeze buns. Like you, we don't need a whole package at one time, but freezing them and taking out what you need solves that problem! Great tip!
DeleteOur Safeway store has 5.00 Friday deals so we added 1/2 lb of Genoa salami and 1/2lb of pepperoni for or 5.00. They went into freezer for pizza night. We have found we enjoy making our own pizza.
ReplyDeleteCheryl, $5 Friday deals, I like that idea. Wish our local grocery stores would do the same! There's just something about having a homemade 'pizza night' that makes having pizza special doesn't it?
DeleteI went to a local discount store and looked through their clearance rack. I found heavily discounted packs of solid small chocolate bars. Each pack has four 25g bars in it. Cadbury brand. They were $2.50each down from $5.50. I bought two packs totalling the $5.
ReplyDeleteAs choc chips are so expensive now, $6 or more a bag here, I plan to chop these up and use these instead when making cookies.
Meg
Meg, I do the same thing for the same reason! Where there is a will, there is a way, isn't there! Great job!
Delete