▼

Friday, October 2, 2026

From My Home to Yours: 10/2/26

 From My Home to Yours

10/2/26

~  Tis the Season for Planning ~

I love it when I get to meet my readers in person.  This week one of my  newer readers, who visits our Church congregation from time to time, visited this past Sunday.  She is a delightful person and a kindred spirit.  Look what she brought me !!!!  She made the statement that it 'wasn't much' but I assured her that it was to me!  Thank you, you know who you are.  I look forward to having you visit with us again soon!  Hubby and I split the chocolates and enjoyed them very much!  It was just enough to give us a treat, but not enough for us to overindulge and make ourselves not feel so well!!  I plan to use the Forjar coupon and  the waffle towel is already in use ... thank you again ... you made my day!


I used to make all my own yogurt and this week, I started back again.   The Greek yogurt I normally purchase has gotten so expensive that I decided it was time to brush off the skill of yogurt making and get back to it.


Here's the link to how I make yogurt with no special equipment needed.  What are you making at home instead of buying because of the cost?

We harvested our sweet potatoes this week and the yield was way down from prior years quite a bit.  With the brutal heat and drought we've had this summer, I am thankful to even get a harvest.  I can't help but think that the weather this year has greatly affected agriculture, which in turn affects availability and cost.  My hubby was at a fast food restaurant this week and they couldn't feel his or any other orders because they had run out of food.   The same thing happened when his place of employment sent him to a different fast food restaurant with an order for several of the employees later in the week ... the restaurant had run out of food.  One has to wonder if both of these instances were a situation of bad management or if this year's weather has already starting affecting the food chain.  At any rate, we are being watchful and paying attention.

Our brussels sprouts that we are growing from seed are almost ready to plant.  A second round of broccoli is about 2 weeks away from being planted.  Typically, both of these will grow well in our area up through Christmas.

I've worked on cleaning out raised beds readying them for planting brussels sprouts and broccoli.  I need to prep a raised bed for garlic as well.  Fall gardening is a big thing for us and after the summer growing season we had, we're hoping our fall garden does really well!

It's time to start getting serious about prepping for Christmas.  You know that for us, the joy is in the journey leading up to Christmas day ... so, 3,2,1 ... here's what I did this week for Christmas prep!

It always starts with planning and that's where I'm at now.  In the planning stages, gift list, budget, decor, activities, etc.

But wait, not so fast ... what about Thanksgiving ... we love the Thanksgiving holiday too ... 3,2,1 ... here's what I did this week for Thanksgiving prep!

I gathered ideas for fall decorating just by looking at pictures I saw online.  The only requirement was that it had to be something I could do using what I already had on hand.  I found a couple of ideas I'm going to play with and see what I can do.  The joy is in the journey and the challenge to make the day special on a budget is intriguing to me.

What about Halloween?  We don't do the scary stuff, we focus more on non-scary fall festivities ... 3,2,1 ... here's what we did this week to enjoy the fall season!

We marked our calendars for an evening of fall festivities the early part of November.  

From now until the end of the year, scheduling and making sure everything gets on the calendar will be crucial!  The joy is in the journey!

I continued reading in book 7 of the Bregdan Chronicles, Glimmers of Change, by Ginny Dye (I actually got a chunk of time this week to sit down and read so I made some big progress on reading Glimmers of Change).  I continued listening to Rocky Mountain Journey by Misty M. Beller.

We continue to work on our greenhouse.  Our strategy is to set a goal for each day we can work, complete that goal and then set another goal for the next work day.  This week we had  one day we could work and we worked hard ... most all day long!

No sewing this week!  

Ladies, lesson 2 of our Bible study on Anna has been posted HERE!


Our new pantry challenge for October has been posted HERE!  We'd love it if you'd join in!

That's it for this week, I hope you've found something in my ramblings that will help and or encourage you in the upcoming week.

Until the next time ...  

mrs. patsi @ A Working Pantry  

~ quietly holding the home front ~

Sharing 46 years' experience of frugal living and pantry building (if you include my frugal childhood, well that would add several more years to my experience!)

She looketh well to the ways of her household … Proverbs 31:27 

Other Places You Can Find Me ...

Grandma's Got a Sewing Machine 

From This Heart of Mine  

Mrs. Patsi on Instagram

Disclaimer: Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links.  This means that if you click on the link and place an order, etc I earn a small fee at no increased cost to you. Thank you for your support through these means. 

Thank you for using my Amazon affiliate link when placing your Amazon orders. I earn a small percentage that doesn't increase what you pay.

If you are encouraged by what you read here, please consider supporting my work via one of the following ways. Your expressions of appreciation help me keep my pantry well-stocked and me motivated to keep on keeping on with my attempts to inspire and encourage you (Titus 2:3-5) through my writings!

7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about your growing season. I had a low one too. But I am in a shaded house right now so all I do is practice, lol. This years weather has been very strange for sure.
    I have never heard of a fast food restaurant running out of food! Lordy. I think there is a truckers strike going on though so maybe that was it?
    I am DONE with Christmas shopping. I just have a few small plans for decorating and last minute food items. I want to wrap presents so bad, but I will hold off for now, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, you've done really well with your Christmas preps! We don't have a lot left to do either and that makes the season's festivities more enjoyable! Right now, I'm checking our list and making sure that everything is down ... and since most of the things just carry over from year to year, updating the list is not hard at all.

      Delete
  2. That is concerning about the fast food restaurants. The Burger King near us was closed all day one day this week. Now I am wondering if they were out of food, too.

    Hubby is still baking all our bread. We reduced the sugar by 75 percent and it is actually better than it used to be. We cannot match the quality of his bread anywhere. Homemade bread goes for $10 a loaf here

    The salvage store had two pound rolls of Tennessee Pride sausage for $4.99 so we topped up our supply. Also five pounds of Bojangles chicken tenders for $12.99. That is a lot of meals that will keep us out of the drive thru .

    Hoping we all get abundant rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana, would your hubby be willing to share his bread recipe? We don't eat much bread, but there are times when you just need bread!

      We got some rain!!! I hope you all did too!

      Delete
    2. No rain. So frustrating because it is all around us but skipping us.

      My husband bakes his bread on a Zojirushi bread machine. He is super specific about his ingredients.
      280 grams of water 90 degrees
      3 cups White Lily bread flour 480 grams
      1 tablespoon of sugar
      2 whole milk powder
      1 3/4 fine sea salt
      2 1/4 T butter
      2 teaspoons yeast
      Quick cycle, medium crust

      Delete
    3. The whole milk powder is 2 tablespoons

      Delete
  3. Wow. I’ve not heard of any fast food places running out of food. It’s probably a combination of reasons. I follow some Prepper YouTube channels and they all are warning about empty shelves. Not sure if they’re doing this for clickbait or if they are sincere.

    ReplyDelete