Request: I wish you would share your recipe for canning beans.
Answer: Here’s what I do:
1. Wash beans and drain.
2. Add washed beans to a big pot and put 3 times as much water as you have beans. For 7 quarts of beans I use between 6 – 7 cups of dried beans.
3. Bring pot of water and beans to a boil and let boil for 3 minutes.
4. Turn heat off, put a lid on the pot and let sit overnight.
5. Wash and sterilize jars and get lids and rings ready for use.
6. Fill each jar ¾ full of beans.
7. Add 1 teaspoon salt to each quart. Here’s where I add any optional things like cayenne pepper and/or seasoning meat.
8. Fill each jar to within 1 inch of top of jar with liquid from pot … finish with water if not enough liquid from pot. (I always have to add additional water.)
9. Remove air bubbles, clean rim of jars, add lid and ring.
10. Place in pressure canner and process at 10 lbs of pressure for 90 minutes.
11. Remove from canner and let sit for 24 hours.