~ from my home to yours, living the Working Pantry lifestyle ~ surviving today's economy ~ a can-do spirit and attitude ~

Saturday, March 18, 2023

Using Home-canned Apple Pie Filling: 3/18/23

I needed a desert to take to someone, so I went to my pantry and pulled out apple pie filling ... home-canned apple pie filling to be exact.

Here's what I did with it ...

I dumped the apple pie filling into a disposable pan and then mixed the following for the topping ...

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup old fashioned rolled oats

3/4 cup brown sugar

1 1/4 tsp apple pie spice seasoning

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup cold cubed butter

I spread the topping over the apple pie filling and baked uncovered in the oven for 30 minutes @ 400 degrees until it started bubbling and the top was golden brown around the edges.

Let me warn you about the smell that will permeate your house, all I can say is it was a good thing this desert was for someone else!  Both my husband and I kept commenting on how good it smelt!

This is such an easy way to make a delicious desert!  It's a real good reason to keep apple pie filling in your pantry too!

One more thing, I added a post over on my other blog, From This Heart of Mine, on Psalm 119:18, I hope it encourages you in your spiritual walk.

Until tomorrow ...

Sharing 42 years' experience of frugal, prudent living and pantry building 

My second blog:  From This Heart of Mine, where I share my love for God and His Word through my personal Bibe study.  Physical preparedness is important, but not near as important as spiritual preparedness.  Join me over at From This Heart of Mine and study God's Word with me.

She looketh well to the ways of her household … Proverbs 31:27 

You can view my privacy policy HERE

4 comments:

  1. One of our favorites! Sadly all we have left is applesauce. I am going to be poking around looking for a pie to make soon because the salvage store supplied our freezer with two packs of organic pie crusts for 99 cents each yesterday. Right now we are doing a big pantry shuffle bringing nonperishable foods down from upstairs to resupply the kitchen. I am so thankful to have all these foods bought for great deals to resupply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana, that's a great deal on the pie crusts! I can't remember when I've been so thankful for a well-stocked pantry. All the hard work is paying off in that we aren't having to pay these exorbitant prices in order to put food on the table.

      Delete