~ from my home to yours, living the Working Pantry lifestyle ~ surviving today's economy ~ a can-do spirit and attitude ~

Friday, April 29, 2022

Transplanting Elderberry Plants!

 What's that in your hand?  Well today, it's elderberry plants!  Every spring our elderberry bushes start producing sprouts and since my goal is to have elderberries growing in several locations on our property, I dig them up and move them.

This year I let them get well established, about 2 - 3 feet tall with a good root system, before I transplanted them ...


After digging them up I placed them in a bucket of water to keep the roots from drying out while I prepared their new location ...


Then I planted them, cut them back, and watered them really well.
They're getting lots of TLC and attention until they get established in their new home!

This will make the 3rd time I've started a new elderberry patch from sprouts.  The plan is to grow plenty as the flowers and berries have some really good medicinal properties.

And it all started from seeds that I purchased because I wanted to make sure that what I thought was elderberry bushes, were elderberry bushes!  I can now identify one in the wild without hesitation, that's how I'm learning the art of foraging ... I buy the seeds, plant them and study the plant ... one plant at a time!

Until next time ...

patsi

A Working Pantry

She looketh well to the ways of her household … Proverbs 31:27

You can receive A Working Pantry blog posts via:

Bloglovin (signup in the sidebar) ...

Email subscription service, follow.it (sign up on the sidebar)

A Working Pantry Instagram page

 You can view my privacy policy HERE.

4 comments:

  1. I want to thank you for sharing about the benefits of elderberry. Since reading about it here, I've taken elderberry and can't believe the health benefits. I'd typically get one bad cold every winter. Knock on wood, I've gone 3 years without one. Truly appreciate your sharing about this plant, which I had no knowledge of prior to your introducing it to me. So thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I'm glad you're able to glean from its benefits!

      Delete
  2. The elderberry bushes will be so useful. I love your method of learning and making progress, one plant at a time.

    With love from,
    Kelly (Mrs. Kiwi)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Kiwi, it's the method that works for me and one that keeps me learning!

      Delete