~ from my home to yours ... ~
I love our little home, it's perfect for us! There's warmth and love within its walls and yes, mason jars, home preserved foods, herbs, books, WIP projects, lots of snuggly quilts, a swing on the front porch and a rocking chair nearby! We call it home and we call ourselves blessed. We give God the glory for He has had and continues to have His hand in it all!

Monday, July 13, 2026

Summer Series 2026: Building a Pantry with $5 a week ... #2

 Here we are at our first full week of our pantry challenge!   However, before I share what I added to my pantry and how I plan to use it, let's go over the rules again (I don't know about you, but sometimes I need reminders!) ...

Total must be $5 or less each week not including taxes.

Must be a separate purchase ... in other words it cannot be hand-picked items from our weekly grocery haul that totals $5 or less.

All items must come from a grocery store, farmers market, etc.  In other words they must be purchased.  No running out to the garden and putting a grocery store price on items harvested or shared with us.  This challenge is meant to stretch us in utilizing a small amount of money to help build up and or restock our pantry.

Must be items we regularly use.  This will keep us from seeing a good deal on something 'we might like' and spending our 'challenge money' only to never get around to trying it or finding out we don't like it at all.  This challenge is for our tried and true pantry building basics.  Think mid - long term pantry stocking.

This challenge includes all things in our pantry:  food, toiletries, cleaning supplies, etc.

One more guideline ... no rolling money over from week to week.  We have to spend it or lose it!

This challenge will end on September 21st, the last day of summer.  

Here's what I added to my pantry for the exact amount of $5 (before tax) ...

Shoepeg corn was on sale 3 for $5 this week at a local regional grocery store chain.  Regular price was $1.99 per can.  I use this corn in salads, as a side and even in casseroles sometimes.  It's crunchiness, just adds something to the 'salads in a jar' that I've been making, which is my favorite way to use it.  I was totally out so, I was happy to see this sale!

Okay, now it's your turn ... what did you spend your $5 on this week and if it's a food, how do you plan on using it?

Until the next time ...  

mrs. patsi @ A Working Pantry  

~ quietly holding the home front ~

She looketh well to the ways of her household … Proverbs 31:27 

Other Places You Can Find Me ...

Grandma's Got a Sewing Machine 

From This Heart of Mine  

Mrs. Patsi on Instagram

Disclaimer: Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links.  This means that if you click on the link and place an order, etc I earn a small fee at no increased cost to you. Thank you for your support through these means. 

Thank you for using my Amazon affiliate link when placing your Amazon orders. I earn a small percentage that doesn't increase what you pay.

If you are encouraged by what you read here, please consider supporting my work via one of the following ways. Your expressions of appreciation help me keep my pantry well-stocked and me motivated to keep on keeping on with my attempts to inspire and encourage you (Titus 2:3-5) through my writings!

20 comments:

  1. We must shop at the same grocery chain! That is what I bought for the challenge. 3 cans of Green Giant white shoe peg corn for $5. Like you, I use it in a salad of corn, tomatoes, green onions and a little mayonnaise. Quick, easy and delicious in the summer. Love this challenge idea! Marley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a big box of Bisquick for $4.75. It is the best way to make sugar free pancakes. We use agave as a sub for syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I purchased five bags of store brand marshmallows. The sale price was $1 each, so with tax I spent $5.35. They went straight into the dehydrator. I will use them in hot chocolate, as a topping for ice cream, in granola or tail mix. I did see that you can re-hydrate them to use in Rice Crispy Treats. That's on my list to try!

    Funny story... Most things really shrink once they are dehydrated, not marshmallows. They stay their original size, so I ended up with 4 half gallon jars. A little more than I anticipated! I foresee hot chocolate and marshmallow packets in all my Christmas baskets. Live and learn, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This week we were able to add 2 Sweet baby rays bbq sauce, 1 Martha white cider muffin mix and 1 can VDK pork and beans. Total for all was $4.70. We do not pay sales tax on food items here. If I were to purchase without sales or mark down rack it would have cost $9.17.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought 2 one pound packages of frozen carrot slices at $1.29 each and a one pound package of chickpeas for $1.79. for a total of $4.28. Due to histamine issues I cannot use any canned or preprepared items amongst other things. The carrots will be used for making no[mato sauce with the addition of beets that I have on hand and stored in the freezer pantry and will last me throughout the year and the chickpeas will be cooked and added to the freezer for salads and homemade hummus. Cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting and so many good ideas. I look forward to learning more. Tillie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I just posted and shared. I just had surgery so I couldn't go but I asked my husband to get some green beans for up to $5. I was able to get five cans. That is actually a cheap price for my area at this time. This is something we use on a regular basis, and I like to have on hand. I think this will be such a helpful jump start because I would like to have a stock of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I purchased 4 bottles of Hunt's catsup, $1.25 each

    ReplyDelete
  9. I intend to play along, but I did not buy a single thing from the grocery store this week. Because I didn't shop I bought nothing, but will start this week. (I might even do 2 separate 5 dollar purchases just to maintain the same timeline)

    ReplyDelete
  10. BLSL chicken breast was on sale for $1.48 a pound. Got a three pound package for the freezer. Will use to make a big batch of chicken fajitas at a later date. Nancy in Eastern Washington.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got 2 cake mixes for $5.00 and I got 2 x 1.5 ltrs of ice cream. Both for future birthdays. This week I will pick up 3 tins of heinze beens for $5.00. This is going to be hard in Canada as our prices are so much higher. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  12. This week I went thrifting with a friend who was visiting from out-of-state. She specifically asked if we could visit some of the thrift stores in my area -- she's from a small town in Michigan and her shops are limited, compared to what's in my area. We both had a fantastic day and got some great deals. My stock-up funds were applied to items that can help me stretch my food dollars and have more ready-to-eat meals on hand. I picked up 3 like-new small clear Pyrex containers that can take me to freezer to refrigerator to the oven. They are possibly ones that use the fresh-snap lids??? I need to do some more digging to identify them, in case replacement lids are available. My thought was that they'd be great for freezing meatloaf or lasagna/pasta dishes in single-serve portions. Even without a lid, a tight wrapping of foil and a Ziplock freezer bag would do for short term storage. One was marked $1.29 and two were marked $2.09. I asked for a price adjustment, no problem, so got all 3 for $3.87. I added an unopened package of New Year's Eve cocktail-size napkins for $0.50 -- add some festivity to the holiday on the cheap. I also had a birthday "gift" from the thrift store and points to use so I added three Ball jelly jars (the more ornate decorative ones) with rings and 2/3 had unused lids. They will be used to gift jars of Christmas jam. They would have totaled $2.97, so were essentially free.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Patsy, I was filling a gap and bought a big roll of non stick baking paper on special. It is 50m so should last a while!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found gluten free condensed soup for $1 per can. I added three cans of gf cream of chicken and two cans of gf cream of mushroom soup. This is perfect for casseroles and crockpot meals. Kroger's store brand. $5.00 plus tax.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  15. I got 6 boxes of rice Krispy treats for 50 cents a box, they were $1.50 on sale and each had a $1.09 coupon on the box. Also got 3 cans of peaches for 44 cents each.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoy this challenge. This week I found 2 containers or. Boxes of crushed tomatoes and basil for 1.13 each. I can of tomato paste for .89. Then a 1 lb bag of powder sugar on sale for 1.79. For a total of 4.94.. We have alot of Birthdays in August so the powder sugar will help with cakes. The tomato products will be used for BBQ sauce

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd like to do this too! I have an Instagram account that I "blog" on - hope that's ok. Thank you! Katie in New England

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, sure ... just please link back to A Working Pantry.

      Delete
  18. We went to a new to us Farmer's Market which also had some salvage foods. I got 2 boxes of Life cereal for $1.79 each and 3 yellow squash for a dollar.

    ReplyDelete