~ from my home to yours ... ~
I love our little home, it's perfect for us! There's warmth and love within its walls and yes, mason jars, home preserved foods, herbs, books, WIP projects, lots of snuggly quilts, a swing on the front porch and a rocking chair nearby! We call it home and we call ourselves blessed. We give God the glory for He has had and continues to have His hand in it all!

Monday, September 28, 2026

October 2026 Pantry Challenge Kickoff!

We’ve just spent several weeks working on building up our pantries with just $5 a week.  I hope we’ve been able to see that it’s more the intentionality and commitment to keeping a well-stocked pantry than the amount we spend, that should be our #1 motivation.

When we set our minds to building and or maintaining a well-stocked pantry, we suddenly see the possibilities that we might not have noticed before.

Sales

Preservation methods

Gleaning

Swapping

It’s intentionality, the commitment, the determination that gets the job done.  The methods we use are just the ways and means.

With these thoughts in mind and using the $5 per week pantry challenge we just completed as a ‘jumpstart’, I want to switch things up a bit and start doing a monthly focus in our pantry building journey.

From June 21st – September 21st we did the $5 per week pantry challenge

For the month of October, we are going to focus on 2 areas of our pantry:

Since, for most of us, we are working on getting all tucked in for winter … so that we don’t have to brave the colder weather unless we want too, we’re going to focus on …

Adding as many non-prescription/over the counter meds as we think we’ll need to get through the winter months or as long as you prefer.  This includes over the counter meds, essential oils, herbal remedies, homeopathic remedies, vitamins, etc.  Basically, any meds you use that doesn’t need a prescription.  (Hint: inventory what you have, then restock accordingly!)

The second area is cleaning products.  This includes laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, dishwashing liquid, dryer sheets, cleaning supplies, etc.  (Again, inventory what you have, then restock accordingly!)

You get to choose, one or the other or both.  It goes without saying that we want to stock up in these areas at the best possible price so let’s look for those bargains and share, share, share!

I hope you’ll join me in this challenge starting October 1st and ending at midnight on October 31st, 2026!

3, 2, 1 … go!

Until the next time ...  

mrs. patsi @ A Working Pantry  

~ quietly holding the home front ~

Sharing 46 years' experience of frugal living and pantry building (if you include my frugal childhood, well that would add several more years to my experience!)

She looketh well to the ways of her household … Proverbs 31:27 

Other Places You Can Find Me ...

Grandma's Got a Sewing Machine 

From This Heart of Mine  

Mrs. Patsi on Instagram

Disclaimer: Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links.  This means that if you click on the link and place an order, etc I earn a small fee at no increased cost to you. Thank you for your support through these means. 

Thank you for using my Amazon affiliate link when placing your Amazon orders. I earn a small percentage that doesn't increase what you pay.

If you are encouraged by what you read here, please consider supporting my work via one of the following ways. Your expressions of appreciation help me keep my pantry well-stocked and me motivated to keep on keeping on with my attempts to inspire and encourage you (Titus 2:3-5) through my writings!

 


12 comments:

  1. I’d love if you could share some good reputable essential oils that don’t require a membership to purchase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee Ann, I use and highly recommend Hopewell Oils. No membership required and their service is excellent. I have used them for several years and never had a complaint about their oils. In addition, they have an excellent 'education' section you get access to when you sign in to their sight. Here's the address ... https://hopewelloils.com/

      Delete
  2. Hello Mrs. Patsy. Your challenge is a great idea and you are so right about the need to be intentional and committed. It makes the difference and you are excellent at it!

    I have also been thinking that I want to begin to gather what I am going to call our favorite "simple luxury" items. I think everyone sees what is coming down the pipe with the economy, and I assume most of us are focusing on trying to get ahead with buying the basics as prices keep going up and up. And the basics are wonderful and I am thankful for that. But I am thinking of identifying special things for my husband and I and family that would make a hardship a little more bearable . A layoff, an economic downturn etc. Or God forbid there be another pandemic and people panic again and empty the shelves.

    For example if someone in the family really loves maple syrup they can be watching for sales. If someone has a chocolate lover in the household, they could watch for sales on chocolate, or baking cocoa for brownies or cake. For me I wouldn't want to be without coffee in the morning and a cup of decaf tea in the afternoon, and ingredients to make soup and ingredients to be able to make homemade bread. Just simple things that might soon be luxuries.

    Just asking family members what one or two things they would hate to go without, or what would make life better and bring a little cheer, and trying to get those kinds of items sooner rather than later, especially since prices keep climbing. And It doesn't have to be food items. For someone it could be a big bottle of bubble bath, or a good pair of warm slippers if they live where it's cold, because as heating bills keep rising we have to turn down the thermostat. For others maybe yarn, or products to pamper our feet if they stand a lot. You get the idea. Not for gift giving but to have set aside in advance. Showing that you were thinking about them.

    I am going to be thinking along these lines in addition to your October challenge. I don't know, maybe my idea is silly or too self focused, like maybe we should be grateful just to have a roof over our heads and meals to eat, and jobs, but somehow I feel it would be very kind to try to gather things that make people happy.

    Just today I looked at a big plastic "tackle box" and the thought came to me that it would be excellent for a first aid kit. It falls in line with your challenge.

    Thank you for such a good idea to get settled in for winter time.

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine, I don't think you are being selfish at all in having 'luxury items' as part of your preparedness! In fact, I think you are very, very wise!! Love your comment!

      Delete
  3. Hello, this week I've bought laundry detergent (powder) for a really good price (less than half the normal price). Decided to buy 2 packages instead of 1. Thank you, Patsy, for encouraging us to work on our pantries.🌼

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, less than half the normal price ... you go girl!!!

      Thank you for your encouraging words ... when we work on our pantries together, it doesn't seem so daunting, or it doesn't to me!!

      Delete
  4. We added a box of bandaids, two essential oil blends from Hopewell Oils that we were low on and two bottles of potassium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana, an order to Hopewell oils is on my 'to-do' list for this challenge this month! Love their oils and their customer service!

      Delete
    2. Did you get the email about the complimentary inhaler this month? If not I can screenshot the message nfo and message you.

      Delete
    3. Please do, thank you so much!

      Delete
  5. I love this, Patsi! I am well stocked in many of my pantry areas, but reading this I realized I am lacking here. I will be fixing that this month! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete