~ from my home to yours, living the Working Pantry lifestyle ~ surviving today's economy ~ a can-do spirit and attitude ~

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

This is Why! part 6

Previous entries can be found HERE.

Thus far we’ve talked about how I use leftovers to help stock my pantry, how I shop to fill my pantry and how I use the great outdoors to help keep my pantry filled.  In this issue we’re heading into the kitchen and talk about how I fill my pantry through food preservation.

51.  I re-can store bought #10 cans of food.  I’ve re-canned tomato sauce, bbq sauce, hominy, and black olives, etc with great success.  I’ve found that prices are much cheaper when buying in #10 cans as opposed to smaller containers.

52.  I use a dehydrator and dry fruits, vegetables and herbs.

53.  I use a food chopper to grind dehydrated vegetables into vegetable powders.

54.  I use a food chopper to grind dehydrated fruits into fruit powders.

55.  I vacuum seal and fill my freezer with things such as fruits, vegetables, and meats to name a few.

56.  I pressure can meats, vegetables and nuts.

57.  I use the water bath method for fruits.

58.  I use a vacuum sealing machine to vacuum seal things for the freezer as well as some items that are shelf stable.

59.  I use a vacuum sealing machine along with jar attachments to preserve things such as tea bags, candy, some cereals, etc.

60.  I oven can lots of different things.  

61.  I dry can (pressure can) nutmeats.

61. I make sour kraut by using the method of fermenting.

62.  I make jams and jellies.

63. I make my own beef broth and pressure can it.

64.  I also make my own chicken broth and pressure can it.

65. I render lard using my crockpot.


66. I use a roaster to cook down sauces before canning.


Okay, I’ve shared with you how I use the different methods of food preservation to help fill my pantry, how about you?  What food preservation methods/tools do you use to preserve your food?

Your comments are what will make this series more helpful so please share your wisdom.

To see how I incorporate all these ways in my daily life, join me at A Working Pantry.
Patsi 

Sharing 42 years' experience of frugal, prudent living and pantry building 

A Working Pantry

My second blog:  From This Heart of Mine 

She looketh well to the ways of her household … Proverbs 31:27 

You can view my privacy policy HERE.

5 comments:

  1. Patsy my main preservation methods are freezing, drying and preserves ie jam, pickles, relish, etc.
    Also I would say good storage ie jars and tins and not leaving things in opened packets etc. On a day to day basis my freezer is very handy but also I keep in mind in a crisis with power loss this would fail after a couple of days!
    Because we have a fairly hot and dry climate in summer I can dry things naturally in a day or two. So I hang up herbs to dry and dont use a de hydrator for them.Now I have my cellar up and running I will count that as it is dark and cool so that is a good way to make many things last longer.
    I would like to get a vacuum sealer I think that would be a great help.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good tips Annabel! Our summer climate is also very hot but it is also very humid which means I have to be careful drying things outside. However, I've learned to work with the elements and am able to use my dehydrator less.

      Delete
  2. I am really enjoying this series. I do everything on your list but haven't tried the dry canning yet. Was going to on the cashews we got but they are eating them (more my husband) that I don't need to bother. I put them in half gallon jars though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patsy, could you do a post on canning meat? I've done chicken for several years but need help with other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure Donna! Did you have a specific meat in mind or just canning meat in general?

      Delete