~ from my home to yours, living the Working Pantry lifestyle ~ surviving today's economy ~ a can-do spirit and attitude ~

Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Harvesting, Using and Preserving Turmeric!

Our turmeric is ready to start harvesting! Once I'm done harvesting, I'll take out enough to replant for next year (and plant it now) and preserve the rest.

How will I preserve the turmeric?  I'll ..

use some in making cider fire,

dehydrate some for use throughout the winter,

use in cooking,

use as an ingredient in spice mixes once it's powdered,

and powder some for taking internally in capsules.

Being able to grow turmeric is something I value greatly as we use it in several ways here in our home.

Do you grow turmeric?  If so, how do you use it and or preserve it? 

If not, do you use turmeric?  If so, how?

patsi

A Working Pantry

She looketh well to the ways of her household … Proverbs 31:27

You can receive A Working Pantry blog posts via:

Bloglovin (signup in the sidebar) ...

Email subscription service, follow.it (sign up on the sidebar)

A Working Pantry Instagram page

Items I use in keeping my pantry well-stocked:

Dehydrator

Dehydrator Teflon Sheets

Dehydrator Cookbook

Food Saver Vacuum Sealer

Herb/Coffee Bean Grinder

Manual Food Chopper

Pressure Canner

Canning Supplies

Food Scale

You can view my privacy policy HERE.

4 comments:

  1. I like the IDEA of turmeric but not so sure it really works for me. I filled my own capsules for several years; I bought a pound of organic powder, with the intent of putting it in everything i make or eat, and there it sits on top of the stove. Since i have so much, it WILL get used. I’m one of those chronic pain people so i’ve tried a lot of different things. I’ve had to get pain prescriptions. I never wanted to be that person but i am. I love that you grow your own! I finally got goldenseal to grow for me! It’s been many years, off and on, but something finally took. I do look forward to hearing all the ways you do things; I’m always learning!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, chronic pain is tuff to treat, I'm so sorry you have to deal with it. For me, turmeric helps with inflammation. It's not a cure all, but, again for me, it's a tool in my arsenal that helps control the pain I experience. I'm glad you've found relief with pain prescriptions, sometimes we have to do what we'd rather not do, in order to have quality of life.

      Delete
  2. My husband gave me turmeric pills and said I needed them. I added it to my other vitamins and about four months later, I walked up a step and my arthritis didn't hurt as bad. Turmeric was the only change I had made so I asked my husband about it. He said it was good for arthritis and was right. It has taken a long time for it to work but I can now do a few steps without horrible pain.

    I might need to grow it if the prices keep going up and it looks like there is no end in sight.

    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie, I'm glad it helped, it helps me too!

      Delete