~ from my home to yours, living the Working Pantry lifestyle ~ surviving today's economy ~ a can-do spirit and attitude ~

Sunday, March 27, 2022

What's That In Your Hand?: 3/27/22

The first part of the week our weather was perfect for working outside and I tried to spend every moment I could doing just that!

(Picture:  our elderberry bushes are looking really good!  I have high hopes of a bountiful harvest this year! They love growing near the chicken coop.  The nitrogen from all that chicken poo is really good for them!)

We purchased cabbage, broccoli and brussels sprouts plants to replace the ones that we lost during ‘the freeze.'  We’re waiting until tomorrow to plant them though as we’re supposed to have another really windy weekend.

We weren't the only ones that incurred a spring garden loss because of the 'Big Freeze' as it has become known here, we learned of one farmer who lost acres and acres of cabbage.  This was just one farmer, there are others.

I also replanted our little marvel peas after checking the ‘days to harvest’ info on them which is 63 days from planting.  This will put us harvesting them, if all goes well, towards the end of May.  While we can easily be in the 90’s by then, I decided to take a chance and see what happens. 

I continue to harvest asparagus this week and decided that we needed to grow more, so that’s been added to our gardening to-do list … grow more asparagus.

I had about used all the fermented honey garlic I had made earlier, so I started two more jars this week.  I use this in my daily tonic and for cooking purposes. Did you know that the darker the honey, the stronger and better it is for you?

We had a ‘catch-all’ place in our yard, you know the place where you put things until a more convenient time, and this week I decided that the ‘convenient time’ had come so I started work on it.  That whole area is starting to look so much better now and of course, I told myself that we wouldn’t let it happen again!  When I’m all finished with it, I have plans for turning it into a garden growing area!

We got some more much needed rain this week, I know other areas are getting too much right now, but we are in a drought situation, so we were glad to get it.   I eagerly checked our miniscule rainwater catchment system (this is still very much a work in progress) and was delighted to see that our buckets were full again.

I harvested nettles and dehydrated them.  They are being turned into powder to start a new ‘mixed greens’ jar for this year.  I use the mixed greens powder in meat dishes, smoothies, soups, casseroles and more.

I added more shelf stable protein to our pantry this week in the form of home-canned ground beef and (separately) more pulled pork.

For the purposes of my continued home-education, I watched or read the following.

Baking Soda, Everything You Need to Know

DIY Homemade Greens Powder: Preserve Your Garden Greens  (While I already do this, this was a great reminder of all the greens that can be used.)

6 Medicinal Herbs to Harvest in the Spring

When I watch or read, I take notes and then I start implementing my notes into my life.  Educating ourselves is so much more than watching/reading and forgetting, it’s meant for us to learn and apply to our lives.

And finally, with this post I'll be taking some time off from blogging, maybe the whole summer.   We have a big project planned that we're ready to start plus we've expanded our garden for this year.  

That's it for this entry ... look around you, how are you using your resources and time, what’s that in your hand? 

Until the next post ...

patsi

A Working Pantry

She looketh well to the ways of her household … Proverbs 31:27

You can receive A Working Pantry blog posts via:

Bloglovin (signup in the sidebar) ...

Email subscription service, follow.it (sign up on the sidebar)

A Working Pantry Instagram page

 You can view my privacy policy HERE.

12 comments:

  1. I will miss your posts. We are in survival mode since I am undergoing treatments for a genetic disease that has shown up in my family. My sister and her 19 year old son and two of our children are also effected. We have not had the courage to think about the grandchildren yet. Medically there is no cure but pain meds and mobility help but I am doing alternative treatments while everyone else waits to see the outcome. My 19 yr old nephew was given a life expectancy of 48. This has been very hard. We also had to move Mom to a full care nursing home on Tuesday. I keep thinking that we need to focus on what needs to be done but I am too overwhelmed and exhausted from the treatments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana, I am so very sorry, that is some devastating news. I pray that your medical knowledge will serve you well and that the predicted outcome will be much different than expected. Please keep me updated. I know it was a hard decision to move your mom to a full care nursing home, but it doesn't sound like you had a choice.

      While overwhelm and exhaustion are different for me in this season of life then what you're experiencing, I'm trying not to let myself get there, hence the time off. Taking better care of me has become a priority and not allowing my 'plate' to get too full is one of the ways I'm doing that.

      You and your family are in my prayers and please do keep me updated as you feel like it and are able.

      Delete
    2. You have made a wise choice. More and more this is a time to pull in and look to ways of our own homes. I will update you when there is something to report. In some ways it is a relief to know what in the world is wrong with us all and that there is really something wrong.

      Delete
    3. Lana, praying for you. GOD is with you and yours. We have family issues in that way also.

      Delete
  2. Though I haven't visited here very long, I'm very sorry to hear about your diagnosis, Lana. I would be the one in my family to go the alternative route too, and hope you find ways to support your health. Patsy, I will miss your posts, but understand the need for self care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also Praying for Lana. Have enjoyed her comments over the years. Be well, sweet lady.

    Patsi, I allow my asparagus to "go to seed" every year. When it ferns out at the end of the eating season the female plants get red berries on them. I let the red berries get very red and then pick them, allow them to dry and plant them in the spring. HOWEVER I have been known to miss a few (read A LOT, because I have a lot of female plants) Then berries drop to the ground and start a new plant. It takes 2 - 3 years for them to get to pencil size, size enough to eat...but THEY ARE FREE. So I keep doing it. (And baby plants look just like their Momma only teeny tiny and make teeny tiny ferns when they fern out. TOO cute)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cass, that's some helpful asparagus info! Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Patsi, thank you for all the hard work you put in sharing here on your blog. I often refer people here to read your posts and will continue to do so while you're having needed down time to work on home projects. May they prosper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I have been a faithful reader for some time and just wanted to say that I enjoy your blog so much. Thank you for sharing so much with us!

    ReplyDelete