~ from my home to yours, living the Working Pantry lifestyle ~ surviving today's economy ~ a can-do spirit and attitude ~

Friday, January 6, 2023

A Journal of My Days: 1/6/23

The weather was a bit cooler today, but not bad.  It was enough though to convince me that it was a good day to stay home and sew, so that's what I did!

Before my sister and I get really involved in one of our quilt-alongs, I try to do one block as a trial to work out the problem areas.  That's what she and I both did today.


This is my block from Lori Holts, A Vintage Christmas book!

I also worked on a memory quilt for a friend that I'm getting close to finishing.

In and around sewing I pulled items from our pantry to make a pot of okra soup for our main meal of the day.  I also pulled some cooked rice out of the freezer to heat and serve the okra soup over.

While pulling from my pantry, I took note of items in that area and determined that I needed to make sure I canned several jars of tomatoes with hot peppers.  We enjoy hot and spicey foods making this combination a staple at our house.  Armed with this knowledge, I went to my planner and started a preservation list.  I'll continue to add to it as I do quick inventory glances from areas of my pantry that I pull from for our meals.

That bag of rice I pulled from the freezer for our meal today, once I had emptied it into a microwaveable container, I washed the bag and hung it to dry.  I'm always mindful of taking advantage of even the small frugal things that we can do to help us save money.

I am laser focused on studying and learning as many frugal helps as I can and today, I watched Homestead Tessie's Life on Little Pennies.  Alot of the things I read or come across are things that I already do, but I watch and read them anyway because while I might not learn something new, it encourages me to keep on keeping on.  Let's face it, sometimes frugality is not fun, and we need a little dose of encouragement to help us along the way.

How do you stay focused on frugality?  What motivates you to keep on keeping on?

Until tomorrow,

Patsi 

Sharing 42 years' experience of frugal, prudent living and pantry building 

A Working Pantry

My second blog:  From This Heart of Mine 

She looketh well to the ways of her household … Proverbs 31:27 

You can view my privacy policy HERE

4 comments:

  1. There is so much hot and spicy food at the salvage stores that you would be all set in a few trips! As for us, we grab something and are all excited with our find until we see those scary words!

    I think me Scottish blood serves me well in the frugal department!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana, one of these days when we're coming through there we're going to stop at that store and see what bargains we can find!! I too have a frugal heritage and right now, with the economy the way it is, it's like owning pure gold!!!

      Delete
  2. I am laser focused this year too, Patsi. I agree about watching and reading things we already do and know. It serves as encouragement like you said. It's also just a matter of personal interest. I enjoy reading about frugality!
    Do you have a recipe posted, or can you give me a quick description of your okra soup? Okra is usually prolific here, and while we usually enjoy it fried, I'm looking for some new, possibly healthier ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelsey, I'll do a post on it as I always get request for it when I write about it. I thought I had already done one, but it doesn't come up in a search so I will post it soon.

      Delete