~ from my home to yours ... ~
I love our little home, it's perfect for us! There's warmth and love within its walls and yes, mason jars, home preserved foods, herbs, books, WIP projects, lots of snuggly quilts, a swing on the front porch and a rocking chair nearby! We call it home and we call ourselves blessed. We give God the glory for He has had and continues to have His hand in it all!

Friday, September 18, 2026

From My Home to Yours: 9/18/26

 From My Home to Yours

9/18/26

~ Fire Water, Pickled Eggs and  Something Yummy in the Crockpot! ~



My first batch of 'fire water' for winter use.  I will do at least one more batch, maybe two.  That should get us all the way through the winter.  I will use it as an immune booster.   Please note that fire water is different than the cider fire that I make.

Fire water includes dried cayenne pepper, garlic cloves, and ACV.  I tried to find a 'free' link to the recipe but could not.  The one I use is part of a paid for product that I do not have permission to share.  It's a really simple recipe that shouldn't be hard to figure out if you are interested in making it yourself.

Cider fire includes all these same ingredients plus ginger, horseradish, turmeric, onion, and dried orange or lemon slices.

Both sit for about 6 weeks.  We use cider fire to combat colds, flu, etc and as stated earlier, we will use fire water as a daily tonic type remedy.



Pickled eggs ... yum!  
This particular jar has onions, beet juice and jalapeno peppers for flavoring.
Here's where you can watch a video on the process of making pickled eggs if you're interested.


A friend and I meet weekly via technology to work together on a Bible study in which we are both participating.  When we met this week, she mentioned a recipe that she had tried that they really enjoyed.  I asked her to send me the recipe, she did and the ingredients in this crockpot are my version of the recipe she shared.

In the bottom of the crockpot, I laid a salted and peppered beef roast.  It was on the small side and fit perfectly nestled on the bottom.  Next and in the following order ...

 I added an additional spice seasoning for beef we had on hand ...
added a layer of sliced/pieces of mushrooms ...
added a layer of peeled and sliced onions ...
added peeled and chunked carrots ...

and then I layered a piece of parchment paper over all those layers ...

on top of the parchment paper I placed washed and pierced whole potatoes ...

The lid went on next and I set the crockpot to slow cook all day on low. 
After about 3 hours in the slow cooker, my house smelt delicious!  The total cook time was about 10 hours.  The end product was a fork tender, melt in your mouth meal that was easy to prepare!



We're still harvesting ... pictured here are cucumbers and eggs.  (We shared both cucumbers and eggs with others this week as we had more than we could use.  We have been on the recipient end of others sharing their surplus with us many times.  It only seems right that we should do the same when we have a surplus.  Isn't that what God wants us to do?  

But do not forget to do good and to share, for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.  Hebrews 13:16

Meals we've enjoyed from our pantry this week are:

beef roast, carrots, onions, mushrooms and potatoes

leftover 'buffet' (twice)

spaghetti sauce, angel hair pasta and mozzarella cheese

steak, roast potatoes, broccoli and cheese


I continued reading in book 7 of the Bregdan Chronicles, Glimmers of Change, by Ginny Dye (I actually got a chunk of time this week to sit down and read so I made some big progress on reading Glimmers of Change).  I finished listening to Rocky  Mountain Promise by Misty M. Beller and started listening to Rocky Mountain Journey by Misty M. Beller.

We continue to work on our greenhouse.  Our strategy is to set a goal for each day we can work, complete that goal and then set another goal for the next work day.

No sewing this week!  Though I did think about it and looked longingly at my sewing nook a few times!

Ladies, it's time for our fall Bible study.  You can find the topic and details HERE.

We've got one week left in our $5 Pantry Building Challenge and then we'll start a new pantry challenge.  A big 'thank you' to everyone participating in the $5 Pantry Building Challenge, the inspiration is inspiring!

That's it for this week, I hope you've found something in my ramblings that will help and or encourage you in the upcoming week.

Until the next time ...  

mrs. patsi @ A Working Pantry  

~ quietly holding the home front ~

Sharing 46 years' experience of frugal living and pantry building (if you include my frugal childhood, well that would add several more years to my experience!)

She looketh well to the ways of her household … Proverbs 31:27 

Other Places You Can Find Me ...

Grandma's Got a Sewing Machine 

From This Heart of Mine  

Mrs. Patsi on Instagram

Disclaimer: Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links.  This means that if you click on the link and place an order, etc I earn a small fee at no increased cost to you. Thank you for your support through these means. 

Thank you for using my Amazon affiliate link when placing your Amazon orders. I earn a small percentage that doesn't increase what you pay.

If you are encouraged by what you read here, please consider supporting my work via one of the following ways. Your expressions of appreciation help me keep my pantry well-stocked and me motivated to keep on keeping on with my attempts to inspire and encourage you (Titus 2:3-5) through my writings!

No comments:

Post a Comment