~ from my home to yours, living the Working Pantry lifestyle ~ surviving today's economy ~ a can-do spirit and attitude ~

Wednesday, October 6, 2021

This is How We Stock Our Pantry with Meats!

Meats are expensive and seem to be getting more expensive with every trip to the grocery store.   My dear hubby has a very high need for meat protein so we have to do some prudent shopping to keep that portion of our pantry stocked without blowing the budget.

One of the most effective things we do is not pay full price for meat!  Occasionally we'll pay full price if it's something we really want or it's a special occasion but most of the time we just don't pay full price for meats.

How do we accomplish this and keep the meat part of our pantry well stocked?  We shop sales, clearances and managers specials.  I watch sales flyers for local stores and every time one of us goes into a grocery store, for whatever reason, we check the meat counter for markdowns. Here's our latest additions ...


Pork shoulder butts on clearance!

Regular price for the top one was $24.63 ... we paid $9.79
Regular price for the one on the left was $17.28 ... we paid $6.87
Regular price for the one on the right was $23.56 ... we paid $9.37


Picnic Bone in Ham

Regular price for the one on the top was $15.41 ... we paid $9.25
Regular price for the one on the left was $14.52 ... we paid $8.71
Regular price for the one on the right was $13.82 ... we paid $8.29

We brought the meat home and took it straight to the freezer.  As I have time I'll take out one or two at a time and preserve it.

Ways I'll preserve it include:
canning
cooking and freezing in cubes, slices and chunks
in freezer meals

How do you combat the high cost of 'putting meat on your table?'

Until next time!

 patsi

A Working Pantry

She looketh well to the ways of her household … Proverbs 31:27

You can receive A Working Pantry blog posts via:

Bloglovin (signup in the sidebar) ...

Email subscription service, follow.it (sign up on the sidebar)

You can view my privacy policy HERE.

15 comments:

  1. We do the same as you. I have that meat protein need too and I am not a big meat eater but I am doing better with it after years of being fussed at by doctors and even our alternative practitioner. Our discount grocery stores are a huge help with mainly pork products. Last week in Sam's I noticed that meat prices are much lower there than the grocery stores here. Whole beef bottom round was 3.96 a pound and that would be a great stock up price to cut into roasts and stew beef and to can. Today we were able to get 10 pounds of 93% lean Angus ground beef at Lidl for 3.29 a pound. That will last us a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana, The Sam's Club pricing in our area is comparable to the local grocery stores. On some things they are more expensive and on others less, one has to really know their prices. The nearest Lidl is about an hour from us and we have found some good sales there as well. We really have to shop with our 'pantry eyes' right now!

      Delete
  2. Like you, I shop the sales flyers and look for meats on clearance. And I also buy family-size packages, even though I'm a household of one. I'll break the package down into individual servings and use my FoodSaver to vacuum pack the portions. When I was growing up (family of 6), we'd often purchase a side of beef, a half- or whole hog, or a bunch of chickens for the freezer. Mom and dad would tell the processor how they wanted it prepared -- steaks, roasts, ground, etc. for beef, and chops, ham, bacon, sausage, etc. for pork, and whether we wanted the chickens cut up of left whole. Living in a snow belt and about 15 miles from town, that made sure we had meat on hand, should we get snowed in. It was also more economical to buy meat that way, directly from the farm or processor, and my dad would sometimes barter for work he'd done, either there or for one of their customers who wanted to purchase a share, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, we almost always buy family size packages and do like you, bring them home and break them down into serving sizes for 2 people. Its another way we can save a little money and get a better deal.

      Delete
  3. I am allergic to mammal products. Thankfully, chicken is my favorite meat and breasts are all I eat. I watch for sales and buy then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Practical Parsimony, chicken is my first choice of meat, but I like all the others too!

      Delete
  4. WOW! I have NEVER been able to find a managers special. I am definitely shopping in the wrong stores. Problem is, we have a lot of 'high end' stores around and not many say regular stores and even then they don't have any markdowns. I wonder if they employees take them home themselves. May I ask what store this was? Just curious. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, we found these deals at Food Lion!

      Delete
  5. We have bought from clearance bin for decades. I now hit the buy 5 for $20 at Save A Lot once in awhile. I check Aldi's also. There is a butcher shop we drive pass when running errands we will stop and check. One year we got prime rib for half price right before Christmas as someone ordered it and then didn't come get it. When they called they said they decided against getting it and thought they had canceled the order. So we took it with the price cut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef Owings, prime rib at half price ... what a deal!!!!

      Delete
  6. Like you, I shop sales. There is a local store that sometimes has lower prices on some meats, so I check there once a month or so. I missed our Food Lion having Boston Butt on sale last week. I use those to make sausage and can pork chunks. Hopefully it will be on sale again. You got some good deals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennilee, we try to keep a watch on our local Food Lion stores as they tend to run good sales on pork on a fairly regular basis.

      Delete
  7. I found a friend selling 1/4 cow for 800.00 (150lbs) less than the grocery store. We only eat beef with a little chicken and even less pork so this is a big deal for us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, it sounds like you did well. I hope you were able to get the bones as well. They make some yummy soup and broth!

      Delete
  8. I did just see the bones (I wasn’t here when they delivered) and got excited

    ReplyDelete