~ from my home to yours, living the Working Pantry lifestyle ~ surviving today's economy ~ a can-do spirit and attitude ~

Saturday, January 21, 2023

Bargain Shopping: 1/21/23

 Welcome to A Working Pantry and today's post!

if this is your first visit, we hope you find something that will make you want to come back.  If you are a regular reader, please know that you are appreciated so very much!  I love the little community of frugal living, like-minded, pantry building people we are building here and am happy that you've chosen to be a part of it!

We have deliberately reduced our grocery budget for a while in order to help build our savings back up but are still allowing a budgeted amount for bargain shopping each week.  Why, when we could easily stay completely away from the grocery stores for a while?  We're continuing to bargain shop because that's one way we keep our pantry well-stocked frugally.  Our pantry operates on the basis of food in and food out and if we do more food out than in (unless we have no choice), we could easily wind up having to pay full price for groceries ... and I don't want to do that if I can keep from it!

We headed into town this morning for said bargain shopping, here's what we found ...


banana's:  $.29/lb ... $.65
10 lb bag of potatoes:  $4.99
celery:  $.99 each ... $4.95 (for 5)  I have been waiting for celery to go on sale for several weeks, but the price has been hovering around $2.49 - $2.79 each so when I saw it on sale today, I stocked up.  I'll chop and freeze it for future use.
pork jowl:  $.99 each ... $1.98

Total spent:  $12.57 (not including tax)

One of these items was an advertised sale item, all the rest were unadvertised.  We get our best finds with unadvertised sales.  Truthfully, the advertised sales have not been that good lately, most of the time they aren't even good enough to draw us into the store.  But, knowing that there are likely some good unadvertised sales and clearances happening, gives us the incentive to get in there and hunt for them.

From the archives, I wrote and published this series back in 2015 ...

This is Why: part 2

I hope you've found something helpful or inspiring in today's post!

Until tomorrow,

Patsi 

Sharing 42 years' experience of frugal, prudent living and pantry building 

A Working Pantry

My second blog:  From This Heart of Mine 

She looketh well to the ways of her household … Proverbs 31:27 

You can view my privacy policy HERE

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Those are great deals! I love having celery chopped and ready in the freezer.

    I started out the day by making a jar of French toast topping for the freezer and two jars of fruit crisp topping went in too. I like having these on hand and ready to use anytime without too much prep. We went out to Dollar Tree for a 2/$1 birthday and Valentine card stock up and picked up some deals there as well. Then we went to check out a grocery store we had not been to before. They had Springer Mountain Farms chicken thighs on sale se we brought along our coupons and got ten pounds for about 70 cents a pound also two packages of smoked cheddar sausages which we love were 2/$5 which is a great price. Overall impression of that store was we would not bother going again nut you don't know if you don't go. Back home I got right to work putting the chicken thighs in wide mouth pint jars for the canner. I pull off the skin and put two in each jar and put the lids on and into the canner for 75 minutes. We were getting low on jars of thighs so it was a good time to restock.

    Coming into the neighborhood we saw a realtor setting up open house signs for a house that was flipped one street up. We about fell over when we looked it up online and saw that it is listed for $589,900. Lets hope it sells for that because all our property values will go up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana, I'm glad you got the chicken thighs at such a good price. I was able to print a second set of those coupons off so I'm waiting for a sale too. I like to can chicken the way you did, it's fairly easy and doesn't take a lot of prep time.

      That's a lot for a house, you're right everyone's property value will go up, but then so will the taxes!!!

      I went into a Dollar General last week and they only had self-checkout and the store was barely stocked. There wasn't an attendant watching over the check-out registers and I couldn't help but wonder if the stocking issue was for lack of product availability or because people were just walking out of the store and not paying. It was actually creepy and I wound up putting my items back and leaving. I don't plan on going back to that one again.

      Delete
    2. Dollar Tree today was such a mess you could barely get down the isles. That is creepy about Dollar General and I would have left too.

      I didn't think about the taxes. Our taxes are lower because Hubby is disabled but yikes for everyone else.

      Delete
    3. Dollar Tre has their seeds in.

      Delete
  2. I needed to pick up a few things at Publix today and was surprised to see the Kentucky Legend ham that Lana mentioned earlier in the week. When I'd gone to the store locator on the site they didn't have a store near me marked. I came home today and signed up for the email coupons.
    I've been shopping more and more at Kroger because of their markdown/clearance items. It means walking the aisles and looking high and low but I often come home with good buys for the pantry or freezer. The items are usually being discontinued but not near expiration so they are worth buying.
    Patsy, wow on that Dollar General. I'd have felt the same way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, we typically know where the clearance items are in each store we shop and sometimes it pays off greatly! Our nearest Kroger is an hour away so it's not a good economical option for us to drive that distance shopping for bargains unless we are already going to be in that area.

      The store was a Dollar Tree instead of Dollar General, I typed the wrong store. At any rate it made me feel uncomfortable!

      Delete
    2. Terri,. The ham packs are regularly 3.39 but one week every month they are an unadvertised deal for 2.99 so if you can that is the week to buy them.

      Delete