~ from my home to yours, living the Working Pantry lifestyle ~ surviving today's economy ~ a can-do spirit and attitude ~

Thursday, January 12, 2023

A Journal of My Days: 1/12/23

Someone in a group I'm in recently shared some embroidery work they were doing on hand towels.  It was chickens and I really liked it.  I looked and looked for 'free' embroidery patterns online that were similar but didn't have any luck.  Then I remembered that I had some Amish coloring books, and a light bulb went off.  I wondered if they would have something similar that I could use as a pattern.


This particular book had lots of different pictures I could trace onto the toweling that would give me something similar plus other things that would go well with the farmhouse theme I have in my home.  I was delighted!

The toweling fabric needed hemming at the top and bottom, so I did that by hand.  I wanted that old fashioned look right down to the hem.

Tomorrow, I'll wash the fabric and then trace the designs I've chosen onto the fabric and start work on them.

While I was hemming the toweling, I watched/listened to a video on Herbal First Aid:  Cut and Wound Care by Doc Jones.  It was/is a part of some limited time free videos promoting the School of Traditional Skills by Homesteading Family.

I paused the video several times to take notes and as a result I now have some good basic info that I'll be adding to my herbal notebook.

Living a frugal lifestyle doesn't mean you have to miss out on things you want to learn, it just means that you have to be on the lookout and take advantage of free opportunities when they show up.

Here's a 'frugal' post from the archives ...


Until tomorrow!

Patsi 

Sharing 42 years' experience of frugal, prudent living and pantry building 

A Working Pantry

My second blog:  From This Heart of Mine 

She looketh well to the ways of her household … Proverbs 31:27 

You can view my privacy policy HERE

6 comments:

  1. That is brilliant. Our artist daughter showed me how to transfer anything to a surface for a pattern. You shade over the back with a number two pencil and then you turn it over to and go over be the outline and it will transfer. But for something you want to keep it would be best to Xerox it. Does this make sense? We have used that method to transfer lettering onto walls and our front door. Then we paint it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana, I remember using this method many years ago and had forgotten all about it. Thank you! I xeroxed the pattern today!

      Delete
  2. I liked the stretching and saving post. There is still the element of entitlement sad to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading the archive post and the post linked within the historical article served as a great reminder of why I do what I do and how I can continue to grow my pantry-building skills. Truly appreciate the information on paterning a craft project, as well as the reminders from your previous writings. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and encouragement. We've got this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, thank you for the encouragement. If there was ever a time for each of us to help each other it's now! Yes, we've got this!

      Delete