~ from my home to yours, living the Working Pantry lifestyle ~ surviving today's economy ~ a can-do spirit and attitude ~

Sunday, January 8, 2023

Okra Soup

I've been asked for this recipe several times and I thought I had already shared it, but couldn't find it when I did a search, so here it is ...

I had never heard of okra soup until I met and married my husband.  As a child he spent several years in Africa as his parents were missionaries there and he grew to love several of their dishes, okra soup was one of them.

Here's the recipe/method ...

1 lb browned ground beef with chopped onions

1 - 2 quarts of canned tomatoes

1 quart of chopped, sauteed okra

Cayenne pepper pods to taste

Tomato paste to thicken if you like a thicker soup (optional) Use the amount that gives you the desired thickness

(If you don't have canned tomatoes, you can use tomato paste and water to make the liquid for the soup.  I think it's 3 cans of water to one can of tomato paste.  You can also use tomato juice and tomato paste.)

Mix all together, bring to a boil and let simmer for at least an hour. 

Serve over a bed of cooked rice or serve it as a bowl of soup without rice.  Either way it's good!

Enjoy!

Here are a couple more 'okra' post from the archives ...

Can You Fry Rehydrated Okra After it has Been Dried

and

How I Boil Okra

And finally, I want to encourage you to go over and check out this young woman's blog, Spring Creek Cottage.  She took a sabbatical from blogging for a while, but now she's back. If you enjoy the kind of things you read here, you will enjoy her blog.

Until tomorrow,

Patsi 

Sharing 42 years' experience of frugal, prudent living and pantry building 

A Working Pantry

My second blog:  From This Heart of Mine 

She looketh well to the ways of her household … Proverbs 31:27 

You can view my privacy policy HERE

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting your recipe, Patsi. It looks easy and delicious. I have some okra in the freezer that needs using, and this is what I'll do with it.
    Thank you so much for mentioning and linking to my blog! I am excited to get back to it and appreciate your kindness, encouragement, and support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelsey, you're welcome. You can tweak the okra soup recipe to fit your family's taste. It's one of those recipes where exact measurements are not necessary.

      Delete