From My Home to Yours
~ Fall Things ... ~
Even though the fall season doesn't officially kick off until September 21st, around the first of September I slide into what I call my 'fall mode.' I start bringing out the fall decor and swapping it out with summer things. Fall colored quilts replace the summer ones, fall themed mug rugs come out as does pillows, throws and such. Let's not forget about the 'mums,' it's time to start searching for those as well. I think the fall season is my favorite season of the year ... probably because our summers are so brutal with heat and humidity.
I am definitely ready for cooler days and nights, a slower pace, snuggly blankets and hot teas. But alas, our temps are still in the 90's, upper 90's to be exact. Several days this week we hit 98 degrees and above with index temps above 100! Come on cooler temps, I'm ready for you!
In and around all this longing for fall like temps, like goes on and we are busy as bees 'putting up the harvest' and getting ready for winter.
Our greenhouse needs new covering so we're working hard on giving it a makeover. We have the old cover removed and are in the process of re-securing the ribs, making repairs where needed and tightening everything up before putting the new cover on. We've been playing the 'beat the heat' game in working on this project. We're out there early, early in the morning before the day heats up, once the sun starts doing it's thing, we head inside. It will take us longer to complete the project doing it this way, but it saves us lots of money being able to do it ourselves.
I had some really overripe bananas to do something with this week, so I made banana bread. It is delicious and the perfect quick grab snack after spending the morning working outside on the greenhouse.
We've been enjoying fresh from the vine cucumbers for the last couple of weeks, we had so many the first part of this week, I decided to make a jar of refrigerator pickles. This jar will last us through the end of the year. We plan to do another planting and with a bit of luck should have another round of fresh cucumbers to enjoy later this year.
We were two 5-gallon buckets of canning pears this week, all we had to do was go harvest them. We were delighted! I'll be working on getting them canned up over the next few days.
We were also given about a peck of okra. I dehydrated most of it leaving enough out for us to enjoy as a side in a couple of meals. This is the first batch that came out of the dehydrator, in the end I had 3 quart jars. Here are a few more of my 'okra' posts ...
One more thing about okra and then we'll move on ... I've read from several sources that okra is a good addition for smoothies. Hmmm, I don't want slimy smoothies (okra equals slime in my mind unless it is cooked properly), so I am going to give it a try by powdering some of the okra I dehydrated and add it that way.
Until the next time ...
Other Places You Can Find Me ...
Mrs. Patsi on Instagram
Disclaimer: Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links. This means that if you click on the link and place an order, etc I earn a small fee at no increased cost to you. Thank you for your support through these means.
Thank you for using my Amazon affiliate link when placing your Amazon orders. I earn a small percentage that doesn't increase what you pay.
If you are encouraged by what you read here, please consider supporting my work via one of the following ways. Your expressions of appreciation help me keep my pantry well-stocked and me motivated to keep on keeping on with my attempts to inspire and encourage you (Titus 2:3-5) through my writings!



.png)
We've been hovering at or above 100 here in southern Missouri. Not my favorite. I'm popping in on a few blogs, then I'm going back to my sewing machine.
ReplyDeleteHappy Labor Day! Come on Fall!
Laura
Laura, this brutal heat seems to be widespread this summer. I think a lot of people will welcome the fall temps! What are you sewing?
Delete